Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

Hobby Lobby all-in-one combo question

Old 04-22-2007, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby Lobby all-in-one combo question

I recently purchased an Alfa Models P-47 "all-in-one" combo package, and had a few question regarding getting longer flight times. The combo I chose for a specific reason. It included a Graupner speed 300 6v motor, running a 5:1 gear reduction, Jeti jes 012 12a ESC, 720 mAh 8 AAA cell NiMH pack, Apache 2030 charger capable of charging 4-8c NiMH or 2-3c Lipo at a max of 1200 mAh. I chose to get this combo as opposed to the brushless setups, as I wanted a slower flying, easier and cheaper to maintian power-train, and the charger gives me the flexability to upgrade to lipo for more power and longer flights- leading to my question. I am a realative newbie when it comes to electrics, so forgive me, but I need assistance in choosing a lipo setup that is compatable with my charger and won't fry my ESC or motor. The battery I was looking at was a 2c 2100 mAh Thunder Power Lipo, which will lighten the power-train just slightly, overall. Is the battery's 2100 mAh too much for my ESC or motor, and can my charger do the job @ 1200 mAh (if so, how long to charge fully?) Will the drop in voltage to 7.4 (lipo) make an adverse difference in performance? Will I also need a balancer in addition to my charger, or can the 2030 be adapted to charge on the balancing lead? Will I need to change my prop? (currently running APC 9x6) If the 2100 is too much, or little, for that matter, what do you suggest? I have run the numbers for my current setup and the 2100 lipo setup through Motocalc, and the results are very similar, any differences between the two end up reading in a few areas lower on the lipo setup as opposed to the 720 mAh NiMH. Flight times of 17-19 mins w/ lipo vs 6-7 mins NiMH, if the input is correct. Needless to say, 20 min flight times sound much better than 6 min ones! I have tried to read the forums as much as possible about anything relating to my questions, but this all sounds like a foreign language to me still. I am learning, but any help or insight in this process is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobby Lobby all-in-one combo question

The 2 cell li-poly battery will increase performance only in the area of extended flight times. It's always a good idea to go with a balancer and I would suggest the Blinky balancer made by Astroflight. The Li-poly will have slightly lower voltage under load than the Nimhd at least in theory. I would test it with the same prop before deciding if you need an upgrade in the prop. You may find that the new battery will actually have a similar if not superior voltage under load compared to the Nimhd. If you charger can only go to 1200 mah it will take approx 2 hours to charge the Li-Poly battery. If you say that you have a 730 mah NiMhd battery and you are going to a 2100 mah Li-Poly battery that would mean you have three times the capacity and therefor you will have approx 3 times the flight duration. Since the battery is a bit lighter it will be very slightly better but you can only use 75% of the Li-Poly battery safely so the actual usalble flight times will be 75% of what you see in Motocalc.