Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

Brushless power for Porterfield

Old 04-25-2007, 11:59 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless power for Porterfield

Sal, I'm impressed with your advice to others and as a newbie now into my second brushless/lipo plane, I'd like your suggestions for a Porterfield (Cub like) ARF that advised either a .15 glow engine or 05 Cobalt elec. The plane has 60" (511 sq." surface) wing, 39" length and would weigh-in elec. at about 54 oz. I'm confused by the lack of standard specs on brushless motors although Hobby Lobby is great with their catalog info on the pricey AXI and Atlas lines. My guess with them is an Atlas 290920 or AXI 2808/20 or /24, but I may be off base. Can you comment on these selections or better suggest more economical options. I could use my 3cell 2200 mah Lipo or buy another in maybe 2 cell size. I'd need ESC and prop size suggestion with your input and keep up the good work.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:42 PM

Default RE: Brushless power for Porterfield

The size of the Axi will work fine. You could also go with something like the Hacker A30-12L outrunner with 40-45 map speed control. This will give you plenty of power. I do suggest going with name brands. They may cost a little more but that is more than made up with better performance and a real warranty and repair service.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:35 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks will look into Hacker now that I have your specifics.
Jackhy
Old 05-04-2007, 03:38 PM

No problem. If you would like to go over possible motor systems and performance...give me a call.