Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

LiPo batteries

Old 05-09-2007, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LiPo batteries

Could you help me understand the LiPo terminology?What does the C rating indicate?All the other current ratings?i.e.max burst,etc.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:10 PM

Default RE: LiPo batteries

Sure! First of all the ratings may be misleading as many manufacturers calims are not justified. if you want performance go with the major brand that are made in Korea. These would be ThunderPower, FlightPower, PolyQuest, Tanic, Apogee, poly RC etc. The Chinese batteries can be good but the QC sucks and so you never know what you are getting.

OK
C rating is used as a charge rate or a discharge rate. C means capacity expressed in amps, or Milliamps. A 2000 ma battery is 2000 milliamps or 2 amps. You would charge the battery at 1C or one times the capacity of the battery which in this case would be 2000 mah (millamps per hour). If the battery is rated for 25C continous, this means that you can draw 25 the capacity of the battery for the full discharge or flight without damaging the battery. In this case with a 2000 ma battery that would 50,000 ma or 50 amps. Burst means that you can draw from the battery at a hgiher rate for a much smaller period (usually the manufacturer specifies 10-15 seconds. If the burst was 35C in the case of the 2000 ma battery you would be able to draw 70 amps for the short time. Max is usually expressed as either max continous or max amps which would be the same as burst.

Let me know if this explains it for you.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:13 PM

Thankyou,very understandable explanation,George.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:33 AM

Great, glad to hear that
Old 05-28-2007, 02:16 PM

Sal,
What type of connectors are used for the balancer part of the LiPo batteries ?
In the Flight Power the look like a 2.1 mm pitch but not sure, where can I get a socket for making an adaptor ?
Thanks !
juan
Old 06-05-2007, 07:29 PM

Sal,

Can you really daisy chain lipos together to get more power or is it just going to increase run time/ Example 2 3c lipos 11.1 volt 800m. would that give me 1600m total. I have a EDF jet that runs a 1800 3s but its heavy compared to the 2 800.