Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

Will this work?

Old 05-11-2007, 03:12 AM
zax2000
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this work?

Hey Sal, I ask this in a forum but not getting enough info. I have a 76" Monocoupe 90A that I was wanting to try an electric setup on. The prototype ran between a 13x6 and 14x7 from a .80 size 2-stroke. I've been reading about outrunners and inrunners and I think I may be leaning towards the inrunner/gearbox setup and swing a 14x6 or 7 prop. Final weight of the kit will likely be around 10-12 lbs if glow (not sure if the electric setup would be lighter or not). I have an elctrifly AMMO brushless inrunner 28-45-2700kV that I don't need if there is any way to use this for the setup. Great Planes sells a gearbox specifically designed for this motor that I was considering if it will work? If it will, then what voltage/battery should I use to get an efficient rpm out of the prop? And what rpm would be ideal? I imagine a 14x7 on an 80 2-stroke would be in the 8000 rpm range, is it the same for electrics? This is a scale bird and I'm looking for scale (with enough boost when needed) performance, it has full flaps, flat-bottom airfoil, and plenty of room in the cowl for any setup. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2007, 10:01 PM
salnsp

Default RE: Will this work?

I need a bit more info. Where can I look at the aircraft and get mor info and specs? If you are looking at 10 - 12 lbs you will need to look at a motor that will run on 10-12 cells Li_poly. usually you can get on 10 cells 12-20 lbs of thrust without going past 60 amps . I think I would go outrunner on 10 cells. this would give you plenty of thrust and be a nice quiet setup. Take a look at the Himaxx, E-Flite or Hacker motors in the 200-300 Kv range. If this sounds interesting to you, I will be glad to work up a motor system for you.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:06 AM
zax2000
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Will this work?

http://kangkeusa.com/superkraft.htm

It is the yellow Monocoupe 90a/60. Sounds good so far, but not for my Ammo inrunner! The specs it lists are with a gas or glow setup as there was no electric setup mentioned in the manual. Some additional info on the prototype is available in the first page or two of the manual which you can view on that website. It states 7-9 lbs, actually so if electric is lighter than it may be closer to that when complete. I have extra electronics I plan on installed (video setup, black box, downlink) which may add an extra 1 or 1-1/2 lbs but I think 9-10 lbs is looking more realistic. I plan on flying very scale-like but with some extra power to get shorter take-off rolls and perform mild loops when commanded (without some serious pre-loop diving) but by no means any aggressive aerobatics, I have other planes for that. I am basically looking towards the least expensive e-setup to get this bird off the ground comfortably, I know inexpensive and electric hardly go together but I just mean I don't need a hot rod with this big, gentle flyer! Thanks for your help!