Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

Choice of motor and esc for experiment

Old 06-07-2007, 03:48 AM
SilentRunner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choice of motor and esc for experiment

Hi Sal,
I'm new to RC electrics and am conducting an experiment with a home designed (and built) prop driven model aircraft (prop designed/built by myself also). To power this I'm looking around for a motor etc, but have been stumped by the variety and quality differences experienced by others.
Please could you recommend a reliable motor, gearbox and esc (easily? programmable) for the prop that needs to spin at around 3000rpm consuming 1100Watts? Also, given the expected high voltage/amps, I can't seem to find LiPo packs that go that high (e.g. 20v+ at 50Amps).

Any ideas to these would be great!!

I've scoured various articles/blogs and found a quality minefield here [:@], e.g.:
1) Some motors overheat or have bad soldered joints that melt at high load.
2) Some motors claim 90%+ efficiency(!!!)
3) Some esc's cut out at low voltage/amps.
4) Some esc's don't come with programming instructions (e.g. those on ebay).

Thanks for your help!