Community
Search
Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

H9 Spitfire /ESC & Switch question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:36 PM
WAK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 Spitfire /ESC & Switch question

Sal,
I have a H9-Spitfire, coincidently, from your on-line store. This was equiped with a Hacker A50-12 along with a Phoenix 80 ESC - On the second flight, I lost power which
resulted in a crash, the Phoenix 80 burst into flames, and the wing broke at center point. Castle Creations replaced the ESC (no charge), as thought this was the
problem. However, I also thought it best to send the motor into Hacker for testing just in case it was damaged by the heat or impact. Hacker determined that a winding in
the motor had "shorted" out, and this probably caused the ESC to overheat. Hacker replaced the motor without question. The TP battery was also damaged, and they gave me 50% off on a new one, so all that is left is to try and repair or replace the wing and put it all back together.

This brings me to the 2 questions I have:
1) Would an "Ultimate BEC" with Input of 5/35 & Output of 3-5v be suffcient, or should I be looking at the UBER BEC ( I have the Ultimate sitting here)
2) Many people have suggested an external "switch" between the battery and anything else, offering some "protection" while putting the wing on after connecting
the battery at the field. What is your opinion on this, and can you recommend a high power switch for this purpose ?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 06-14-2007, 02:15 PM
salnsp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9 Spitfire /ESC & Switch question

Sorry about the crash but if you are modeler it happens to all of us. I lose at least 3-5 airplanes per year, but then I do a lot of test flying.

1. the Ultimate will work fine for you.
2. A switch is a convenience but is not needed. If you are going to use a switch, I would use on the external Deans Arming connection switch if I was to use anything. This will give you the least drop in power to the motor. Here is the website address on our website so you can see an example: http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=5221