Community
Search
Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

Reviving an old bird

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 11:46 PM
gakcmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reviving an old bird

I have an old Kyosho Soarus that I'm trying to revive from the dead and need some help. Overall it's in good condition but I keep burning up brushed motors. Right now I have a Trinity Komodo 19T spec motor with a Team Orion Pilot 50A ESC and 7.4V, 2200 mAh lipo battery. I have a 50A fuse between the ESC and motor. The prop is a Graupner 11 x 7 folding prop.

I always break in the brushed motors by running them at 1/3 throttle for 5 minutes without the prop, let it cool down and run it at 1/2 throttle for another 5 minutes. Then I install the prop and do it again. Everything works great up to that point. As soon as I go from 1/2 throttle to full the motor starts smoking and stops (and continues to smoke for quite some time).

I've also tried 550 and 600 size 'can' motors along with a Venom Fireball Modified 17x2. They all burn up within 5 seconds of hitting full throttle.

Could it be that the diameter and/or pitch of the prop is too much for these motors? Is the 50A ESC too much?

Anything you could offer would be greatly appreciated.