RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ask-expert-sal-electric-airplane-advice-464/)
-   -   B 29 build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ask-expert-sal-electric-airplane-advice-464/5718938-b-29-build.html)

Azzir325 04-15-2007 10:53 AM

B 29 build

I was intrigued by the electric B 29's I started seeing posted on ebay, and when the right combination of low price and low shipping came by, I scored one. But I never liked the idea of contolling a plane exclusively thru power management. You know-more power to climb, less to descend, differential thrust to turn. So I decided that I would try to modify this plane with a mini receiver, an electrifly 10amp esc, and 2 mini servos driving the elevator and rudder. Today I took the 1st steps.

I started by working the elevator and rudder loose with a hobby knife. They are quite clearly molded so the lines were clear. I figured I'd cut them free and then use cello tape to hinge them, but as I proceeded I found that the foam was firm enough that on the hinge line if I didn't cut all the way thru, I might not need a hinge at all. Just allow enough material to remain and there you have your hinge. I needed to use a sheet of sandpaper in the cut lines to give a little bit of room, but working carefully I believe at first at least the hinge problem is taking care of itself.

OK, step 2 is joining the elevator halves. This is where I am now. I found a piece of stiff wire and bent a half inch "L" at each end. The wire is long enough to go from one side to the other. I contemplated cutting into the foam, but ultimately decided just to lay it flat on the bottom of the elevator and epoxy it in place. As of now, I am waiting on the epoxy.

Thinking ahead, I need to install some kind of control horns. I don't have any mini stuff here, so I might just epoxy a piece of servo arm with a few holes in it right onto the control surfaces and see if that gives a decent hold. As for the servos themselves, I am going to cut holes for them into the fuse up near the wing saddle and either glue them in place as is, or glue ply mounts to the foam and use screws to fasten the servos.

How does that sound so far? Anybody out there ever try something like this before? How did it go? Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.
Rick

Azzir325 04-15-2007 08:59 PM

RE: B 29 build

OK. The build went well, and in one day I did what I needed to do and she is basicaly ready to maiden. I installed 2 servos into the fuse. I removed the 49 mghtz receiver/mixer that was in there and soldered in a 10 amp esc and wired the motors to it so they work together. I installed a 72 mghtz mini rx and now have throttle, rudder and elevator. I think less then 2 ounces total weight was added. The only thing I am concerned with is the fact that most of what was added is behind the wing which I think may make her tail heavy, but there is no mention of where the balance point is since this model was designed to be flown without servos. I guess I'll just have to figure it out myself, but any suggestions would be appreciated.
Rick

Azzir325 04-21-2007 10:02 PM

Maiden day! I taped a half ounce of lead to the nose to counterbalance the weight of the servos and got my pal AL to toss it. I didn't mention this, but I left the landing gear off since I fly at a grass strip and they would have been more nuisance then helpful. At any rate, she flew and flew pretty well! The battery was new nimh and charged fully but I don't think it's up to full power yet. Even so, I was happy with my handiwork. The rudder and elevator were effective and tho this plane is NOT suitable for any G manuevers, it looks cool and is fun to play with. And that's what it's all about now, isn't it?
Rick

salnsp 04-24-2007 10:25 AM

Pretty cool! I bet it's a lot more fun with this setup.

Azzir325 04-25-2007 05:31 PM

Definitely more controllable. And it flies great! It's the funniest thing the way the wings increase in dihedral when it flies, but that's normal for it. I don't think I'll be trying any loops!

Anybody trying it who wants to ask questions, I am willing to talk.
Rick

salnsp 04-29-2007 08:37 PM

You could always put a small carbon rod in the wings to increase stiffness.