Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > AutoGyros
Reload this Page >

Indoor Gyro

Community
Search
Notices
AutoGyros All about autorotational flight, sport and scale autogyros! User friendly!

Indoor Gyro

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 07:58 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indoor Gyro

Has anyone tried this? The .010 size one mentioned in the other thread sounds like a start, but i can see something that can fly slow, and a simple lightweight design might work well, or is wind something you really need?
Old 02-02-2002, 12:28 AM
Steve T.

Default Indoor Gyro

"PhillyBaby",

Welcome to the new Autogyro Forum here on R/C Universe! Yours is an excellent question and hopefully will be addressed by an indoor autogyro designer/pilot.

There have been very successful indoor FF autogyro models in the past. One of the obstacles that confronts any autogyro design is the surprising amount of drag that needs to be overcome. Even a true autogyro model, flying on autorotational lift (rather than flat-plate drag as is so often seen with older autogyro designs sporting lots of negative pitch in the blades), produces a lot more drag than a similar-sized "starch wing" model.

This seems compounded when working with fairly low-powered motors and high power loading numbers.

"Wind", or lack thereof, is not such a factor as it can be "created" by walking briskly with the model and launching by hand once the rotors are up to full autorotational rpm.
Old 02-02-2002, 10:54 AM
Cactus.

Default Indoor Gyro

whats a starch wing? gyro with little wing tips? i did consider the gyros with two blades at wingtips, but at the low speeds it would be flying, these would be more or less useless, i was thinking more of a true gyro with the one main rotor, and as far as i can see it, drag... as long as its not pulling you down, is a good thing with indoor flying, slows you down, so a nice draggy rotor that gives a load of lift must be a good thing.
I'll just point out i know nothing about this other than its the forward moation that makes the blade turn and then its lift generatred like a heli? tho.. helis have to adust the blade pitch to avoid higher lift into wind and roll, so maybe im wrong on this... also the high AoA on the rotor must generate quite a vortex behind it... umm maybe that would make the air travel over it and give like a large flat bottom section at a high AoA effect.. umm interesting.
I can see that US osprey making a good gyro model
Old 02-02-2002, 05:01 PM
billf

Default Indoor Gyro

Phillybaby...
There is a very interesting series of experiments reported by Norb Mosson which are published on Jim Baxter's web site:www.autogyro.com.

Norb has attempted to build an indoor autogyro. Click on "Click Here" below the paragraph "Did you Know?" on the home page of the site.

Bill
Old 02-02-2002, 06:52 PM
Cactus.

Default Indoor Gyro

i've been around a few sites, looks like its not as easy as scale down a plan and wack a few bits of depron together.
that link said i didnt have permission to view btw...
Old 02-03-2002, 03:45 PM
billf

Default Indoor Gyro

Phillybaby...
Hmmmm....Strange you couldn't access that site. You might try contacting Jim Baxter directly at: [email protected].

Bill
Old 02-05-2002, 02:23 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Indoor Gyro

Philly the reason a helicopter must effect a collective pitch change to acheive autorotation unlike an auto gyro is that the helicopter sees a 180 degree change of airflow through the rotor system upon loss of power. At all times in powered flight (this of course does not apply to an RC helicopter in an inverted hover) the airflow is down through the rotor and upon loss of power the the flow reverses to an angle from below therefore the pitch must be reduced to acheive the proper AoA so the inner portion of the blades can provide that thrust component which in turn allows the outer portions to provide lift.

John