Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > AutoGyros
 "Scamp" ARF Review in Fly R/C Magazine >

"Scamp" ARF Review in Fly R/C Magazine

Notices
AutoGyros All about autorotational flight, sport and scale autogyros! User friendly!

"Scamp" ARF Review in Fly R/C Magazine

Old 12-06-2006, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Scamp" ARF Review in Fly R/C Magazine

Just read the new kit review on Autogyro Company's Scamp ARF. It's in the February FlyRC magazine. I've had my Scamp since last spring and probably have 40 or 50 flights on it. The article sums it up pretty good and the author is doing loops and rolls with his! After about 5 flights, I modified the tailwheel setup just like the article suggests--it's too flimsy for even taxiing back. My kit quality was every bit as good as the guy says in the article and it flies great too. I've got the Cermark motor/controller setup in mine and it's plenty of power both in fixed wing and autogyro mode. There are some good videos on the ACA website:
http://www.autogyro-rc.com/Almost-Ready-To-Fly(ARF).html

Anyone got their new Soda Pup kit? I'd like to get one for the winter but want to hear from someone else who's got one first.

Chad
Old 12-19-2006, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: "Scamp" ARF Review in Fly R/C Magazine

Chad,
I have a Soda Pup-E kit. Fantastic wood selection and very easy to build! Hope to have mine flying very soon. I saw Steve fly several versions of the Pup and all do well even at altitudes of 6900'. Looks like ACA has another winner!
Randy
Old 02-21-2007, 12:25 AM

Has anyone with a Soda Pup-E Autogyro got any good news for me ?

Is the Autogyro tough and dependable and easy to get back flying if it crashes ?

Can you control land it and still steer it to a landing spot if the power goes out ?

Do you think it would be good for an aerial photo platform ?

Any idea of how much money it would cost me to go from no equipment at all to getting the least costly most dependable indestructible flying vehicle to accomplish my goal below ?

I need to make some pictures of a wooded brushy family farm area to make a photo map of how many acres of pine trees versus briar patches and invasive plant patches in order to know how many acres need spraying and clearing.

It is a very remote area with no paved roads for about 5 miles and it has a river nearby and if it gets away from me it would be nearly impossible to find it !

Thanks !

rc-camera
Old 02-21-2007, 08:12 AM

Hi rc-camera,
I have been taking aerial pictures for years with many different platforms including the autogyro. However, a modified Slow Stick has performed the best for me. You can hand launch it and you can even catch it in your hand if you don't have a place to land. Use and outrunner brushless motor with lipo batteries. Most of my pictures were taken with a Blip camera which is controlled by plugging into the receiver. Also, the FMA Co-Pilot is a must for stability and you can fly it almost out of sight by using the Co-Pilot.
Here are a few samples taken while on vacation in Vermont around Lake Champlain.
Phil
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60568.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	626301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22154.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	626302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13962.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	626303  
Old 02-21-2007, 04:03 PM

Hi Phil...
Very impressive photos! What part of the lake has the two bridges?

Bill
Old 02-21-2007, 04:26 PM

Hi Bill,

The bridges are over the Lamoille River a few miles up stream from where it empties into Lake Champlain between Milton and St. Albans Vt. That is one of the most photographed areas in the state and the probably the most difficult for aerial pictures with an RC plane. I hand launched standing in the road knowing that if I missed the road landing I would either hit trees on one side or ditch into the water on the other side all while listening for cars coming around the bend.

Here is another picture and you still can't see me but I'm standing in the road in the lower right corner just past the bend. As you can see not a great place to land.

Phil

Name:	Mk26558.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	626689  
Old 02-21-2007, 04:37 PM

Hi,

To put things into perspective, here is an aerial picture taken over our flying field and that was a full scale cessna flying close to the field and he was probably at 1000 feet so you can guess how high my little RC plane was.

Phil

Name:	Jh16677.gif
Views:	52
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	626699  
Old 02-22-2007, 01:47 AM

Hey Floridagyro,

I am a rookie that has never flown any RC aircraft.

Thanks for the info on the slow stick and the nice photos. I looked up the Blip Camera controler. Looks nice. What is the highest resolution camera do you think the slowstick would carry and how would I modify it to do that ?

The co pilot looks really good also !!

Is there some type of gizmo panic button kind of thing that a rookie can hit to make the plane come back to the immediate vicinity from where it was launched if the pilot is losing control or the plane is about to get out of range ?

Thanks for the tips,

rc

Old 02-22-2007, 08:52 AM

Hi RC,
Without spending several $KKK, no panic button to bring the aircraft back. First, you have to learn to fly RC and I recommend a friend with a buddy box or you can get a computer simulator. Most RC stores will have a simulator that you can try.

The company that is selling the Blip controller used to sell a camera with the controller. However, they just sell the controller now. The Blip camera with the controller weights a little over 2 oz. I have flown the Slow Stick with a 7 oz camera but that is almost too much. You can get some good cameras around 4 oz and if you get the Blip controller the power will be supplied through the receiver. That saves the weight of the batteries.

Good luck,
Phil
Old 02-23-2007, 12:08 AM

Hey Phil,

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Those were some impressive photos you made !!

1) If you did not have your Blip camera, what kind of camera would you use on your slow stick if you wanted 7 Megpixel or higher and how would you attach it ?

2) Could I attach some sort radio deployed parachute system for emergency landings like I have heard some cessna size aircraft have ?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2007, 07:58 AM

Hi Rc,

I used the Hp Photosmart but it's about 3 years old. They have better cameras now and much smaller and lighter. You can use a small servo motor to push the camera button. A little piece of double stick tape and a couple of rubber bands to hold it in place is all that is necessary. The servo motor just plugs into the receiver and you trigger it from one of the switches on the transmitter.

I don't recommend a parachute as you have no control as to where it lands. The slow stick is so light and slow that you can land in tall grass or weeds without any damage. I like to use tall hay fields if the farmer doesn't catch you trampling his hay.

Phil
Old 02-23-2007, 08:09 AM

Hi RC,

I just mount the Blip camera under the wing with Velcro but I mount the other camera to the frame with Velcro and rubber bands.

Phil

Name:	Ig13017.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	627919  
Old 02-24-2007, 09:53 PM

good quality and informative picture.

Would you mount the full size camera to the body of the plane to avoid changing the flight characteristics ?

Does any one make a RC plane like the marine corps OSPREY ? That would be so cool for doing AP !!

Thanks
Old 02-25-2007, 07:35 AM

Hey Phil,

That plane setup is working very well for your picture taking. Thanks for sharing it.
I will consider that setup. Since I am such a beginner I need something that can take some tough crashes. I will be flying near clearcut areas that have lots of stumps, and trees and quite often over impassable brush thickets (up to 15 or 20 feet high ) and briar patches and occasionally some water into which I might crash on a relatives wood lot. I would not have access to any AC power for charging in this location without driving 1 hour.

p.s. AIPTEK has a new digital / video camera that uses a 2 MG SD card and can take loads of 8 meg pictures and it fits in the palm of your hand for only 150 dollars !! I want to put that in a glider !!!

1) Perhaps a foam plane with the prop or props in the back might take crashes better and allow me to get more flying time in with fewer repairs. Any suggestions ?

2) I would like to maximize my flying time because landing the fewer times the better in this tricky spot. Would a foam glider be what I want ?
Old 02-25-2007, 08:30 AM

Hi rc,
I think the Blip camera is a modified AIPTEK camera. If you get the controller from Blip it will be powered from your receiver and that will eliminate the weight of the batteries. The GWS SlowStick is mostly foam and it's cheap. Less than $40. Batteries are not a problem. With a small outrunner and a 2100 mah lipo you can fly for 30 minutes or longer. Bring several with you and you don't have to worry about charging and if you want, just connect the charger to your car battery.
Phil
Old 02-26-2007, 07:37 AM

Hey Phil,

Here is more on the AIPTEK camera. It is amazing !

MZ-DV - Personal Media Player Camcorder w/ 3x Optical Zoom & Auto Focus

Max. Resolution up to 8 Mega-Pixel:
Equipped with 5 mega pixel CMOS sensor, the still image resolution of the MZ-DV is enhanced to 8 mega pixels. Two-stage Auto-Focus helps you get the best pictures every time!

It even will take a 4 meg SD card !!

Do you think the slowstick will haul this wonder ?

Thanks,

RC-camera
Old 02-26-2007, 09:46 PM

I think that camera is a little on the heavy side at about 7 oz.

AIPTEK has the slimcam series that weight only about 3 oz.

Phil