Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > AutoGyros
 My Biggest Gyro Video >

My Biggest Gyro Video

Notices
AutoGyros All about autorotational flight, sport and scale autogyros! User friendly!

My Biggest Gyro Video

Old 02-09-2007, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Biggest Gyro Video

Here's a few short videos of my largest autogyro, and perhaps largest I will ever build. I still haven't got all the bugs out of it yet because it seems to rock left and right with without being commanded to do so.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDodgKCyD4k

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMJB5RnO-74
Old 02-10-2007, 05:12 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: My Biggest Gyro Video

Hi. I have the same one. Do you have some pic of it. Like to check it out. Any hints of flying it? My not been in air yet.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:13 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Hi. I have the same one. Do you have some pic of it. Like to check it out. Any hints of flying it? My not been in air yet. What motor do you have on it? Oh ya Like the videos.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:47 PM

Hello thtoyman,

This is a scratch built version that is 30% larger than my single rotor Gyrace I built about two years ago. The origional Gyrace was a Boddington design that had two rotors mounted on the wingtips. The origional Gyrace was fun to fly while I was just learning to fly autogyros but I wanted a single rotor autogyro so I used the origional plans and added a mast to mount the rotor to. This Gyrace in the video is about 30% larger than my first single rotor Gyrace and now is called the Super Gyrace because it's huge compared to the origional.
It's still not trimmed out yet, when the weather gets warmer I'll have more time to get more familiar with it. I guess you may have a Kellet from
Arizona Autogyro Co.
Can't give much help if that's the gyro you have because I've never had one. I've seen a few at Gyro fly-ins and they were all very good flying machines.

Attached are a few photos of my Super Gyrace as it was being Built.

Joel
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25625.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	618075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62688.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	618076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30217.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	618077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23880.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	618078  
Old 02-12-2007, 07:07 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Joel, You did a superb job of building your Super Gyrace. Can you list some of the specs? Weight, rotor span engine used? Thanks, Ben
Old 02-12-2007, 08:32 PM

Hello Ben,

The Super Gyrace has 36" X 2 3/4" Aerobalsa rotor blades mounted on a piece of fiber glass form an old circuit board about .100" thick. Because the blades are 36" long rotor span is about 75". The weight is 12lbs. The engine is a RFS .91. The wheels are 5" diameter. And the covering is UltraCote.
She just about leaps off the ground in a very short distance but once in the air is lacking lateral stability. I think the lack of lateral stability may be a result of not enough nose down hang angle which acts like a tail heavy fixed wing. When the warm weather returnes in spring I'll have more time to work out the bugs.

Joel
Old 02-12-2007, 10:19 PM

Nice looking bird, Joel !! Good luck in working the bugs out. Hope you get an early spring so your fun can continue. I am hoping to go to the Spring Hill meet. It will be nice to see some new developments there. Still waiting to hear of a non-heli head two blader flying in the USA !!! Happy Flying !!! Charlie Anderson
Old 02-12-2007, 11:16 PM

Thanks for your interest Ben and Charlie,

Charlie you were looking for a 2 blade non-helicopter gyro, here's some photos taken during the 2005 Gyronuts flyin in Muncie of the first successfull gyro of that type that I have ever seen. The Pilot and builder/designer was called Wahid. He has been quite active on this forum from time to time.

Enjoy these photos as much as Wahid enjoied the Flyin

Joel
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31977.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	620232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16331.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	620233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85915.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	620234  
Old 02-15-2007, 08:39 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Joel,
Thanks for the information. That is an impressive gyro. I want to build my next one about the same size as yours with a gas engine in the 18ci-25ci range. Thanks again, Ben