Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > AutoGyros
 Whistler's Cousin >

Whistler's Cousin

Notices
AutoGyros All about autorotational flight, sport and scale autogyros! User friendly!

Whistler's Cousin

Old 04-07-2007, 01:33 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whistler's Cousin

Hi Guys,
Just to let you know that I have been doing a little modeling after my hip surgery. I built the Autogyro from Bernie and Joel's plans and some parts that Joel gave me. I did build 2 but Shelly took his home because he wanted to finish it.
Right now it has an OS 91 4S and I may put an OS 70 in the nose if the 91 is too heavy.
I will be guiding it with Futaba's new FAAST 2.4 ghz system.. So far I like it.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20419.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	659044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10354.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	659045  
Old 04-07-2007, 08:29 PM

Default RE: Whistler's Cousin

Hello Jim,

Looks good! I wonder if that .91 will be too heavy. Mine has a Tower .46 on it. What kind of blades are you going to use? You may need to move the gear box forward to get the hang angle right if you stay with the .91.
Hope that new hip is working out for you.

Joel
Old 04-07-2007, 11:59 PM

Hey Jim that looks great. I hope the recovery from surgery is going well. I have decided this year to do more autogyro flying. So I have been getting mine ready for some good weather. I am hoping I have not forgotten how to fly them. I have been spending most of my time flying profiles. When the 3-D bug bit me it got me hard. I have been building and flying just about nothing but profile airplanes. This year I will be getting back in to a few of my old favorites and the autogyro's will be at the top of the list. I will be working at the Ohio Model Planes booth this year if any of you guys are coming to Toledo next weekend stop by and say hi.
Dale Carpenter
Old 04-08-2007, 07:12 AM

Joel & Dale,

Yes Joel I do think the 91 may be to much but I thought I would put it on anyway.. The Cousin feels light so the 70 may have to be the one..

Dale, It's about time you got back in here.. You have been missed buddy. Hope to see you in Morris, IL this summer.
We have a bunch of profiles here to Dale. We have a PROBRO here at our field on Jan 1st each year.
Well I better get back to my Hot Rod Shop and make an engine change.

Jim
Old 04-08-2007, 09:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Just Plane Nuts

. I will be working at the Ohio Model Planes booth this year if any of you guys are coming to Toledo next weekend stop by and say hi.
Dale Carpenter
Make sure you stop by the Aerobalsa booth and say hi to Mike.
He'll have G3PO and BEGi on display.
Mickey
Old 04-08-2007, 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: mnowell129

ORIGINAL: Just Plane Nuts

. I will be working at the Ohio Model Planes booth this year if any of you guys are coming to Toledo next weekend stop by and say hi.
Dale Carpenter
Make sure you stop by the Aerobalsa booth and say hi to Mike.
He'll have G3PO and BEGi on display.
Mickey
Mike should be almost directly across from us. He is set for 103 Row D and we are 125-129 Row D. We should be very close.
Dale
Old 04-08-2007, 10:04 PM

Dale and other Toledo-bound Gyronuts,

I'm looking forward to this year's event. It's always an awesome show! For those of you on the fence... DON'T MISS IT!
Old 04-14-2007, 12:21 PM

Here I have some new pictures of my Whistlers Cousin.. It weights in at 7# and now has an OS 70 4 stroke engine.. I fiberglassed the blades then painted them. It is ready to fly but will be a couple of weeks before I can take it to the field.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50714.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	663973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15129.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	663974  
Old 04-21-2007, 10:20 PM

Jim!

Your Whistlers Cousin looks real good, and I also like the covering selection,
comes handy on a sunny day.
I have to say the original Whistlers Cousin is Joel Waldos great creation in
the medium size auto gyro, I also build from the same plans, and I
found to be an easy building and a very responsive gyro.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:52 PM

Looks great Jim...
Have you had a chance to fly it yet? I am really looking forward to the fly-in this year in Morris. Its been a while since I have seen every one and I am also looking forward to seeing the new autogyro designs that every one has come up with. I have knocked the dust off of mine and they are all almost ready to fly again. I am also in the final stages of completing a PT 25. I am planning to power it with a magnum .36 that I have laying around looking for a new home. I have a great little OS .26 four stroke but I don't think it would have enough power for it. I would like to put it on a small autogyro if any one knows of a good model for it please let me know.
Dale
Old 05-09-2007, 07:21 AM

Dale,
I have not flown it as yet.. Maybe some time this week.. I don't think the OS 26 would pull the PT 25 real well. I have one too and did think about it.
Later

Jim
Old 05-31-2007, 01:31 PM

Well I finally flew the Cousin today. Light winds and nobody else waiting to fly. I had a long takeoff the first time to make sure every thing was OK. No trim changes were needed. Touch and goes were as smooth as glass.
Weight again is #7 and I am using AeroBalsa 18" x 2/3-8" blades. About the same dia. as the wing. This is Rudder and Elevator and power by OS 70 4 stroke at half power. I am well pleased with it.
Thanks to Joel and Bearnie.

Jim
Old 06-02-2007, 06:14 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim,
That is one good looking gyro! Do you have any footage of it flying? Looks like i may actually be able to meet you this year in Morris. Finally....a year with missing too much work due to my back problems.

Cant wait to see it fly in person!

Dave
Old 06-02-2007, 06:35 PM

Dave,
I hope you can make it.. Lot's of fun for all. Hope a lot of others can show up also. Nice flying site with nice shady trees. I will try and get someone to shoot some flying pictures soon.

Jim
Old 06-02-2007, 07:35 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a great time. I was VERY disapointed last year when I realized I had three days of vacation time left!!!! I had to use that for our shut down at Christmas.

What historic sites are in the area? Museums....train or aviation.

Dave

Old 06-04-2007, 06:21 PM

Dave,
I did get some video shot today but sofar have not been able to dowload it. it's avi format.

Maybe Bernie will come on and answer your question on Museums in the area.. Maybe a search on the internet would be in order.

Jim
Old 09-12-2007, 11:37 PM

Hello Jim,

First of all, your model loods great!! Nice job!

I have a question: Would you mind telling me where to get the plans to build one like yours?

I once built a whistler from a kit about 12 years ago, and loved it. Unfortunately, I had a bad fall, and became permanently disabled. I lost my job, my house, and everything else except for my loving and supportive wife, and kids. I couldn't fly after the accident, so I eventually, (reluctantly), auctioned off all my R/C stuff to fellow club members, to help pay for medical bills.

Fast forward to the year 2005, and new medical techniques have given me my life back, along with my job, an income, and my beloved R/C hobby! I have been back flying primarily high performance aerobatic aircraft, since April of 2006, and have my advanced flying skills back, better than ever. I am itching to start in on an autogyro, and have been waiting for the right kit, or set of plans, to materialize so I can start working on my next rotary wing model.

Your beautiful model is just what I think I've been waiting for. Any assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Joe in CA
Old 09-13-2007, 07:52 PM

Joe,

I have some drawings to build the Whistler.. I am not home . I am in Muncie, In. at this time.. If you are good a scratch builder you should not have any trouble.. You could just blow up the Whistler plans.. I tryed to keep the fuselage in 48" balsa.

Be home sometime next month.

Jim