Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > AutoGyros
Reload this Page >

First autogyro kit

Community
Search
Notices
AutoGyros All about autorotational flight, sport and scale autogyros! User friendly!

First autogyro kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 05:27 PM
flyindoc
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First autogyro kit

Hello,

I've been checking these autogyros out and think I would like to try one. I'm a pretty accomplished fixed wing and heli pilot, so I would like some input on which autogyro to get. I have read all the data on the Arizona autogyro companies website and figured the 2-D would be ok to learn on and grow with. What do all you current autogyro fliers think. I'm going to Toledo this April and plan on picking up one of the Arizona co. kits. Let me know what you think.

Thankyou,

Andy
Beckley WV
Old 03-08-2002, 05:18 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

I've never flown a gyro yet, but that's the one I'd pick if I were a kit builder. How about it Steve T.
Old 03-11-2002, 01:57 AM
floridagyro

Default First Autogyro

Steve T. may not agree with me, but I would not recommend the 2-D for the first autogyro. It was my first kit and and I think Steve did suggest something else for the first. I have built at least 30 which is considerably less than some of the other guys but I think Steve will suggest something else.

Good luck and it's great seeing the interest. Once you get the gyro bug and you get a few good flights under your belt, flying with wings just doesn't seem the same anymore.

Phil
Old 03-11-2002, 04:40 AM
klute55

I will also be buying either plans for the SHTICK autogyro featured in RCM or a kit if someone suggests a good one to me. I am also an accomplished fixed and heli pilot. I know I will like the way they fly and cant wait to get going.
Old 03-11-2002, 05:57 AM
floridagyro

Default Dual Rotor Kit

I purchased a couple of dual rotor kits from DB Sport in England. They have a web page but I don't remember the name. It was a couple years ago. The quality of the kits are not up to the standard like the Arizona gyro kits but if you are an experience builder, you will not have any trouble. I think I paid about $65.00 each and they use a size 25 motor.

I posted a picture of one that I built at the following address:

http://www.auav.net/autogyro/

Phil
Old 03-11-2002, 03:00 PM
Randy W.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gyro Shtick

Originally posted by klute55
I will also be buying either plans for the SHTICK autogyro featured in RCM or a kit if someone suggests a good one to me. I am also an accomplished fixed and heli pilot. I know I will like the way they fly and cant wait to get going.
You can order all the necessary laser cut lite ply parts from Jerry Smith for $15.00. The rest of the gyro is sheet balsa, the with only the rudder being curved, the rest is all straight lines! The rotor blades are made from tapered trailing edge stock, very little carving necessary.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:18 AM
Steve T.

I like to recommend the GyroBee as the best "trainer" R/C autogyro kit. It is so docile and stable and gives the new autogyro pilot a real feel for autorotational flight with plenty of time to react. It really has no bad tendencies and yet can still loop and roll, etc.

The "2-D" (being a profile) is so yaw-stable that it really requires coordinating yaw input with roll control. For the novice gyro pilot, that can become real "sporty" real quick. We hope our new Pitcairn "PA-22" will be the perfect scale gyro kit trainer!
Old 03-13-2002, 04:02 AM
floridagyro

Default PA-22

Hi Steve,

I took at look at your web site and played the video clip of the PA-22. I really like the looks of that gyro.

When do you think that it will be available?

Phil
Old 03-16-2002, 12:44 AM
Steve T.

Default First Autogyro Kit? Toledo. Pitcairn "PA-22" kit.

Andy and Phil,

We've had to cancel our booth at the Toledo Expo for this year. (From a business standpoint, this has been our best show and we really regret having to pull out at such short notice.) Sorry, Andy.

Phil, with spring training in full bloom, opening day only a few weeks away (baseball), we are having a real tough time getting the Construction/Flying Manual finished for that Pitcairn "PA-22". <G> The kit should be available by the end of summer. (?) Thanks for your interest and compliment.