Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > AutoGyros
Reload this Page >

Pictures of my Delta rotor hub.

Notices
AutoGyros All about autorotational flight, sport and scale autogyros! User friendly!

Pictures of my Delta rotor hub.

Old 03-12-2002, 06:26 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures of my Delta rotor hub.

This is the clockwise rotor hub for my gyro.

http://www.netlabs.net/hp/soarrich/hub.jpg

The view on the left is the top view, if you look you can see the bevel that I put on the blade holders so the can flex up maybe 15*. There is a scribed line on the left side of the rotor that shows up clearly, from that you can see I have put in about 20* of angle on the blade hinge, I'm assuming that is the delta angle that gives the hub it's name.

On the right is the bottom of the hub. See the differance on the hinge line? It's much tighter so the blade can't go down.

I've put two flanged bearings in the hub one on the top plate one on the bottom plate. I'm using a 10-32 allen bolt for the axle. It spins very freely, but it is heavier that expected. Maybe gyronut is right I should look in to trains!
Old 03-13-2002, 04:11 AM
floridagyro

Hi Rich,

Stick with Gyros.

I looked at your pictures of the delta hub. Bob Gardner how has been flying with this design for sometime and I noticed that the outside flap that connects to the blade doesn't come all the way back to point of the inside triangle. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. If you want I think I can find a picture of his hub.

Phil
Old 03-13-2002, 04:44 AM
soarrich

Bob Gardner? I thought it was Les.

I've got pictures from florida, mostly of hub , rotors, and control systems, I'll scan them and put them on the forum tomorrow night.

I just put the hinge in then cut away any sticking out, I would think you want as much hinge as possible, so that's the way I did it.

When I put the holes in for the bolts to go through I heated a 1/16" wire and melted the hinge out. I melted it so as to not have any stress risers left like you might get from a drill or knife which might start a tear.
Old 03-13-2002, 06:07 PM
floridagyro

Hi Rich,

It's Bob Gardner and Les Garber. Bob was at the Springhill event and also made a couple of trips to the Valkyries flying field here in Manatee County FL.

That was good idea of using a hot wire to make the holes. I'll have to remember. In Hints & Kinks someone posted a suggestion to use a hot wire for marking holes in the motor mounts. I've tried that and it works good also when you don't have the alignment tool.

When do you think you will be getting a gyro in the air?

Phil
Old 03-13-2002, 08:56 PM
Gyronut

Default Delta Head

Mr. Snorrich

The Pics of your Delta head are very nice indeed. How heavy is heavy...???

Rick
Old 03-14-2002, 12:27 AM
soarrich

Phil

Ok, so it was Bob Gardner that I quizzed for about an hour. He was really nice answering all my questions, and I had a ton of them, very helpful and knowledgeable.

I'm going to try to finish up the second rotor hub tonight, then try lighting them both. I think I could have the SpaceWalker converted in about a week. I still haven't made the rotors yet, that should take a week. I have to bring my boat up from VA to NJ sometime after 4/1, that's 2 1/2 days out in the ocean, but it may mean waiting a week or so for a weather window. I want to squeeze in as much as I can before I go to VA.

Gyronut

I'm not sure what they weigh, but I'll weigh them before and after the weight reduction effort. Results later tonight.