Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > AutoGyros
 Giant Scale Auto Gyro Build >

Giant Scale Auto Gyro Build

Notices
AutoGyros All about autorotational flight, sport and scale autogyros! User friendly!

Giant Scale Auto Gyro Build

Old 04-19-2009, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Scale Auto Gyro Build

After building giant scale plans for several years, I've been teaching myself to fly RC Helis.
Been following the auto gyro sceen thru RC Universe for sometime. I have a D A100 that I wish to put on a giant scale
auto gyro. As far as I know, kits this size do not exist. This engine will turn a 27-28 inch diameter prop
with a 10 inch pitch, 65-7000 RMP. I need help embarking on this venture. Usually when I get to this point in my mind with a flying project,
odds are, it will be persued. What type of craft has to be scale, thinking of possibly purchasing a smaller scale auto
from someone building it and teaching myself to fly with it. It would be great if it was a smaller version of the larger
scale I would intend to build later.I have experience scratch building so that is not a problem. So, how about some ideas?
And of course, drawings would be necessary. Let me know what you think.
Jungmeisterman.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Giant Scale Auto Gyro Build

I have been flying a Kellet from Autogyro Company of Arizona since 2002 I have 495 flights on two machines It says in the plans that you can fly it with a 60 size engine and 100 oz servos on the rotor tilt control Well that is ideal conditions I found there is NO margin I have increased the engine to a 90 2 stroke and the rotor tilt servo is 263 oz at 6 volts Thats 16lbs of torque to tilt the rotor If you get in a tight turn going down it is still marginal I think your biggest problem will be getting enough power to
tilt the rotor if you make the machine larger and the rotor dia large plan on making the tilt hardware very strong and powerful
Old 04-20-2009, 06:51 PM

That is exactly the type of information I need. Is it true that all autogyros do not require tilting the main rotor? For some reason I thought that the craft could be controled by control surfaces much like a airplane using the rotor primairly for lift. I thought that the system to prerotate the main rotor the biggest challange. This is why I think it would be helpful to have factory dramings so these type of systems could be studied for design. Courious , what would you build if you were to take something like this to task. Was looking for drawings lastnight ,no luck. Fuselsge cross sections would be nice. Thanks for the info and please share anything else you think is important.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a large electric drill for pre rotation See my website http://home.comcast.net/~alberts/index2.html
Check the video section for flights I have checked the speed of the rotor and it turns around 800 rpm in level flight The biggest problem is getting the rotor up to speed before you start movement forward for takoff The drill is a large craftsman that turns up to 1500 rpm at 19 volts What happens Taxi until rotor gets up to speed VERY difficult keeping it going straight into the wind until the rotor speed is enought to lift Lift to soon causes a flip to the left and broken rotors ETC I have also modified my machine so I can tilt the rotor down ZERO lift after touchdown BECAUSE It will touch down and still have enough lift to flip it over and break the rotor blades etc I usually time the rotor tilt forward just inches before touchdown Use the retract switch on transmitter
Old 04-21-2009, 11:23 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought this was actually a build log.......[&o]
Old 04-22-2009, 08:44 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK then.....

Here is the video of the drill pre-rotator.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=579JIbsmkT8&feature=related[/youtube]

Old 04-24-2009, 11:43 AM

IMHO, this might sound obvious, but I'd go step by step. If I had never flown planes, and/or had not much idea about ther physics, I'd not even think about building a giant P51 and teaching myself to fly it.
Start by reading about them and understanding how autogiros work, and then build and fly a simple, proven model such as the PT giro or DC giro (I'd recomend a DC model by far over one with traditional control surfaces). Unfortunately, there's no sim that allows you to fly an autogiro, and while they share some similarities with both planes and helis, they're different machines. Having stick experience and a basic understanding of them will allow you to design and build a simple version of your own machine, and quite probably, debug it. That will be a very valuable experience that will avoid wasting money and gaining frustration. [>:]

Regarding their construction, it probably takes the sames skills as to build a plane. The body it's almost the same as a plane's fuselage, the biggest difference being the points of reinforcement for the rotor pylon/wing. The rotor usually takes some machining and has many things to watch out for. The blades... they're jus a pain to make!