Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Adding another receiver battery

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Adding another receiver battery

Old 08-01-2011, 04:10 PM
JBryson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding another receiver battery

My Fokker D-VII currently has a 6v, 1400mah NiCd battery, can I add a 6.6v, 2100mah LiFe using a Y harness or will this give me 12.6volts and fry my servos and receiver? As you can see I'm electronically challenged! Thanks for the input.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:25 PM
JustPlaneSweet

Default RE: Adding another receiver battery

Do not mix chemistry with batteries. Either have two 6v NiCd batteries or two 6.6v LiFe batteries. The Y harness will effectively add the CAPACITIES, not the VOLTAGES. You can have batteries of different capacities with no problem.

Stan
Old 08-01-2011, 07:11 PM
JBryson
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks Stan! I've learned something, happy landings!
John
Old 08-02-2011, 04:41 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What Stan said, just do not try to charge any Nixx batteries in parallel or you will most probably ruin one or both. It is better to hook each battery through it's own switch into a channel on the receiver, just use a spare channel for the second battery.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Ernie Misner

Is your nicad worn out? Or just need longer flights, or? You don't necessarily have to go to the A123 technology which would require a new kind of charger. It might be simpler just to get a 6.0 volt Nimh (metal hydride) pack of higher capacity. It would be exactly like the one you have except Nimh cells instead of the old nicad type. Your existing charger might already be Nimh capable anyway.

Ernie