Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Silver Solder ?

Old 12-18-2011, 03:40 AM
Smiff 24

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Silver Solder ?

Does silver solder require more heat to solder and de-solder ?
Tryin to de-solder a dc power jack on a circuit board and the solder wont liquify.
Any ideas are appreciated.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:08 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Default RE: Silver Solder ?

about 40-50 degrees more
Old 12-18-2011, 04:09 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

according to sta-brite it flows at 430 degrees
Old 12-18-2011, 04:40 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stay-brite is not true silver solder, it is partially silver solder and flows at a lower temperature than true silver solder. True silver solder almost always requires a torch for good application. Stay-brite does require a higher temperature than a tin/lead solder does but not very much higher. If you are using Stay-brite, be sure to clean the flux very well after soldering as it is an acid base flux and any residue will cause corrosion.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:38 AM
Smiff 24

Not sure what this solder is on this board but its very hard to liquify.
I dont have any problem on another board so its not the iron...I dont think.
chisel tip usually works better but im useing a pincil tip because its a small & tight area.
Probally need a smaller chisel tip!
Old 12-18-2011, 11:24 AM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The solder on the board your working on is most likely lead free solder[:'(][&o]
Lead free solder melts at around 425 F. The standard 60/40, or 63/37 Tin/Lead solder has a melting point of 361-374 F
I've been frustrated at times doing repairs on electronics that are soldered with the lead free stuff. If anyone else has more experience with dealing with the stuff, I could sure use some tips
No, not for the iron, I have plenty of them[:-]
Pete
Old 12-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Smiff 24

Just got a can of soldering flux from radio shack,
Is it me or does the paste flux actually help transfer the heat ?
It seemed that it heated the wires much quicker.
Not a pro here...just learnin as I go.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:22 PM
pilotpete2

Yes, it does help with heat transfer.
Pete
Old 12-23-2011, 06:44 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rodney

Stay-brite is not true silver solder, it is partially silver solder and flows at a lower temperature than true silver solder. True silver solder almost always requires a torch for good application. Stay-brite does require a higher temperature than a tin/lead solder does but not very much higher. If you are using Stay-brite, be sure to clean the flux very well after soldering as it is an acid base flux and any residue will cause corrosion.
There are silver solders then there are silver brazing rods. Silver solder would be any solder that contains silver in any amount yet can be flowed with conventional soldering irons, though at a higher temperature. Silver brazing rod (can still come rolled on a spool like conventional solders) almost always requires a torch for application. An example of silver solder is Stay-brite that contains a small amount of silver added to a conventional lead - tin solder base, just enough to make it a bit stronger than conventional lead - tin solders. Silver brazing rod contains a much higher percentage of silver and may also contain lead, tin and even copper or other metals and is much stronger than any conventional lead - tin based solder. Silver brazing rod is also called high temp silver solder and can be bought at any good welding supply store. The high temp product is commonly used for air conditioning work where resistance to hight temperatures and high strength is required. Variations are also used in the jewelry industry. And there are probably hundreds of different varieties and alloys of silver solder available out there. But .... Stay-brite is still silver solder, just a low temp, lower strength, easier for the average person to use product. I'm sure in this day and age, more of these solders are now formulated as lead free products ...... YUK!

You would almost never find true high temp silver solder used in any electronic application though I have found it in very high power broadcast and communications transmitters before. Low temp silver solders can be quite common though the lead free ROHS approved solders now prevail most everywhere now. Sometimes they don't melt when removed, they crumble off and require extensive cleaning before a repair can be accomplished.

Oh yes, when using Stay-brite I prefer to use a much lower corrosive flux than what comes with the solder. Any good paste flux available in the plumbing section of a good hardware store works well without the rust and corrosion that Stay-brite flux can cause.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:47 AM
pilotpete2

The next time I break out the Stay-brite, I'll definitely get out the can of Oatey paste flux that I use for plumbing. The liquid that comes with the Stay-brite is noxious if you get a whiff of the fumes[:'(]
Pete