Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

2ooo mAh eneloop battery pack vs 1700 mah nicad

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

2ooo mAh eneloop battery pack vs 1700 mah nicad

Old 04-03-2013, 01:43 PM
bipe2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2ooo mAh eneloop battery pack vs 1700 mah nicad

I have a 1\3 scale super cub that i built several years ago and never flew it. now i got it out of storage and want to put some new battery packs in it. i have two packs one 1700 nicad pack and one 2000 eneloop pack. which of these packs would work better for the airtronic 8 channel 2.4 GHz reciever.all servos are standard and the packs are 6 volts.anyone got any ideas which would work better.? any help would be great. thank you.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Goldenduff

Default RE: 2ooo mAh eneloop battery pack vs 1700 mah nicad

Look at hangtime hobbies for great advice. That will tell you go with Nicd because the eneloop are not so got at providing high current demands (despite its slightly larger capacity it will deliver less peak amps). Eneloop ideal for receiver.

What's the wing span?

All the best
Old 04-03-2013, 02:34 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

HANGTIME HOBBIES great place for info on Eneloop Batteries, I will also add, the Eneloop Battery is better suited for a Transmitter, not a Flight Battery for the Receiver and Servos; I use a Large Capacity Eneloop that I got from Hangtime Hobbies for my Transmitter, best Battery I have used in any Transmitter by far.

http://www.hangtimes.com/index.html
Old 04-03-2013, 08:20 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Agree completely.  I f that's the choice a good nicad pack for that use will provide more.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:57 PM
Goldenduff

Bugger I meant eneloop is ideal for transmitter not receiver as I said!
Old 04-04-2013, 01:22 AM
spog1

If this is the NiCad you plan on using it may not be up to the task either since it has a 17mohm internal impedance. The eneloop AA has a 25mohm impedance.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ge94879.pdf (162.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-04-2013, 08:02 AM
pilotpete2

+1
Now, if the 1700mAh Nicds are sub-C cells. That's another story[8D]
Pete
Old 04-04-2013, 04:37 PM
bipe2

thanks a lot guys for all this good info. will the 2000 eneloop 6 volt pack that i just built work as a power supply for a 35 quadra gas engine. with ch ignition.? and what size nicad pack would work.? I would like to stick with nmh & and nicad batteries because that all my charger will charge. I have always built my own packs so nicad and nmh would be no problem. I just dont want to have to buy new chargers for all these new batteries that have come out in the last few years. any ideas or suggestions will be great . thank you in advance. BIPE2
Old 04-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

ORIGINAL: bipe2

thanks a lot guys for all this good info. will the 2000 eneloop 6 volt pack that i just built work as a power supply for a 35 quadra gas engine. with ch ignition.? and what size nicad pack would work.? I would like to stick with nmh & and nicad batteries because that all my charger will charge. I have always built my own packs so nicad and nmh would be no problem. I just dont want to have to buy new chargers for all these new batteries that have come out in the last few years. any ideas or suggestions will be great . thank you in advance. BIPE2
For use with the CH ignition, I would remove one cell from your 6v Eneloop pack. Best not to go over the recommended 4 cell pack on that ignition. Regarding the 1700 NiCd pack, if it uses the KR-1700 cells, I have had pretty good luck using that battery with up to 6 standard servos. There are better choices but it should work just fine for your application. Of course, 6V would be recommended. As one other person posted, if it has sub-C cells, no problem as that battery is a horse.

Edit: Just reread your original post and noted this is a 1/3 CUB while I was thinking 1/4. The KR-1700 cells would be a bit light for that plane but so would the standard servos. That's a lot of airplane for standard servos.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:25 AM
bipe2

truckracer if i use 6volt battery packs does the 6volts increase the standard servo torque any like maybe one or two oz ? or maybe use two packs?
Old 04-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, the increased voltage increases both the torque and speed of a servo. But it does nothing to improve the overall strength of the servo's geartrain. I have attached one page from the Futaba website to illustrate the performance changes. Similar changes will be seen with other brands. Not all servos will work with 6V or more but most will. Just check the specs for your servo of choice.

You can certainly parallel two battery packs which will double the available current while not changing the voltage. This is often done on larger airplanes, two batteries, two switches, etc. This gives some redundancy and improves the safety factor.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/servos/analog.html
Old 04-05-2013, 11:28 AM
bipe2

thanks truckracer for your answers and all you other guys for your help I am now 100% smarter than i was three days ago. may the good lord take a liking to you.