Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Low voltage cutoff alarm/switch: How do I install?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Low voltage cutoff alarm/switch: How do I install?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 08:08 PM
mysticboon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low voltage cutoff alarm/switch: How do I install?

Hello. Ijust got a low voltage alarm for my Lipo battery, but I'm not sure how to hook it up to be used while the car is in operation. I.E. how do Ihook install this thing in line with my battery and esc for use?
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130407_181207_zps1ebe4be9.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	2235655Click image for larger version

Name:	20130407_181213_zps996cc6f1.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	2235656Click image for larger version

Name:	20130407_181200_zpsa41acf17.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	2235657
Old 04-07-2013, 08:29 PM
BoiseBee
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Low voltage cutoff alarm/switch: How do I install?

You plug it into the balancer cable on your lipo. On the back of the alarm, you'll see lables for each pin. Plug the black balancer cable into the bottom pin (has a minus "-" symbol). The rest of the cables (red, white, etc) will plug into each pin above it. So if you have a 3S pack, you'll probably have 4 cables. The last cable will plug into the symbol 3S. To set it, press and hold the little button on the side until you get the LED read out of the voltage you want to trigger the alarm. If you hold the button, you will cycle back through the numbers until you reach the one you want. I set mine at 3.5v for a 3S 11.1v. (Don't jump when the buzzer goes off - it's loud.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:42 PM
BoiseBee

A nice feature of the alarm display is that when plugged in, it will show pack voltage (eg: 12.3) and cell voltage (eg: 4.08). The unit is very light (I use in an airplane) and can be inside the car. I'd stuff a little foam around it to keep it from moving. This is an incredible piece of electronics for the price. I bought two. I use the other on a LIFE Rx 2S pack.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:40 AM
mysticboon

Ok great thanks. So when I have it plugged in that way, can I take power from it from the 2 opening leads in the front to an ESC?
Old 04-08-2013, 09:02 AM
BoiseBee

It (alarm) gets its power from the balance lead/connector. Your battery connnector plugs in the regular way to the ESC for motor power. I'm not sure how the alarm connected to the balance connector gets its power, but it works.

Looking at your #3 photo, the white balance connector plugs into the alarm - it's sticking out of the battery. Then you have red/black leads out the battery with a (looks like) deans connector. That connector is plugged into something else (ESC?) that I've never seen before.

After looking at #3 photo again, the device with the wires is probably your ESC with the wires going to the motor. On my setups it works a little differently (maybe it's different with cars). Anyway, plug in your alarm to the balance connector - it should work without any changes to your present setup.