Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

LIFE pack for onboard glow and receiver combined

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

LIFE pack for onboard glow and receiver combined

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 03:31 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LIFE pack for onboard glow and receiver combined

Just thought I would mention the use of a 1800 LIFE 6.6 volt pack for both on-board-glow and receiver/servo power.
The on-board-glow devices that use 6 volts and more seem pretty efficient and at less than $20 pretty reasonable. I hooked one up to my Hitec Optima 9 receiver on a spare channel, reversed the channel, mixed it with throttle and plugged in an 1800 mah HK LIFE pack.
2 flights on a CG Protege with TT 91FS and I put 139 mah back in. Even at 139mah per flight this would be good for 10 flights. On board-glow was proabably used for 4-5 minutes during the flights.

This is a simple way to have onboard-glow without 1.5 volt cells etc. and seems to work fine. Thought it was worth a mention.

1800 LIFEpack < $15. On-board-glow system <$20. Pretty cheap.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:46 AM
Four Stroker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: LIFE pack for onboard glow and receiver combined

I have been using an expensive A123 pack and SwitchGlo this way for over a year. Works great. Easy starting and reliable idle. I will look at the HK $20 one. Be warned that the Gryphon auto booster is just a PWM switch and will glitch the hell out of your RX. The HK may be the same.

Did you bother to read the feedback on the HK site ? Do you work for HK ?

The SwitchGlo although not cheap, is an excellent product and a true switching regulator. It will draw about an Amp with the plug lit on 6.6 volts. It will not disturb you receiver like the Gryphon.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:40 PM
4*60

I do not work for HK. There was a single glow_driver on the site that was similar to the 2 plug driver(rcd3004). It was rated good. I don't see it there any more. In testing the two plug one worked well even if using only one plug. Admittedly a short test of a few minutes.
They are available elsewhere,,,,,,,,rcd3002 and seem to work well for me. Time will tell. Works with LIFE 2S cell. Maybe not wit 2sLIPO 8.4V
My Hitec rx's seem to be unaffected.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:40 PM
BillS

Your experiment is interesting and logical and we would like to follow your progress. Reducing the number of batteries that need charging is a good idea. Please keep us informed.

Bill
Old 08-16-2014, 11:22 AM
4*60

Still work great!