Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

NiMH-Accu cycle elite-curious readings

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

NiMH-Accu cycle elite-curious readings

Old 06-23-2013, 04:12 AM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (211)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NiMH-Accu cycle elite-curious readings

I have several NiMH battery packs, three from MPI with sanyo cells 2700, a hobbico hydra-max 2000 and a JR 2700. I have connected all of these over the past week to my hobbico accu-cycle to cycle them. All packs were cycled 3 times with the proper info. entered into the machine at the time of connection.Problem is,not one of these packs will cycle back to anywhere close to their rated capacity.Three of them are almost three years old, but the others are much newer. They have always given strong readings and the accu-cycle always brought them up to good acceptable numbers(over 85%).This time if I accept the readings from the accu-cycle, I need to throw away every battery pack I've got.No pack went above 58% and one pack only 24%. I can't belive that all of these packs went bad. Is there a way to test the accu-cycle to see if it's giving accurate information?If these packs are all bad,I will be going to A123 packs on everything.BTW, checking these NiMH packs with a electronic voltage meter with load they are reading perfect.
Thanks for the help.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:53 AM
Goldenduff

Default RE: NiMH-Accu cycle elite-curious readings

Could be the peak sensitivity of the charger is too high. Some are adjustable. If so adjust the peak sensitivity...
Old 06-23-2013, 09:08 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

To test the accuracy of the elites capacity reading multiply the current by the time. I bet money that it is accurate . I also bet money that the packs are all good too.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:13 PM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (211)

Well I went to the flying field today and after charging the two 2700ma and the 2100ma I went out with my trusty voltmeter so I could check them after each flight.After flying five flights 10 minutes each, checking the batteries after each flight,the two 6 volt batteries still had 6.44 volts and the 4.8 ignition battery had 5.12 so I guess they are okay.I will try the accu-cycle again this week and maybe adjust the peak sensitivity.
Thanks for the help.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:18 AM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Using a precision, calibrated DVM (Fluke), I found that the discharge current for my AccuCycle on the receiver side was actually 553 mA, instead of the 500 it claimed to be. Using this correction, the pack capacities came out to the expected values. The transmitter side was off by less than 1%. I contacted Hobbico about this but they said there was no way to fix it and would not provide a schematic so i could figure it out myself.