Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

What does this mean?

Old 07-30-2013, 12:14 PM
carl24bpool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does this mean?

I'm charging a 9.6v 600mA Ni-cd pack up for my transmitter. Its old so I'm trying to cycle it and see if its worth using.

I set the charge current at 0.1a
the discharge to 7.0v
charger sensetivity D.Peak set at 6mV/cell

Cycle 1:
discharge - 99mAh
charge - 93 mAh

Cycle 2:
discharge - 97m Ah
charge - 92mAh

What do the cycle readings mean and how do I use them to understand what state my battery is in?

Old 07-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Rodney

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What does this mean?

This is an 8 cell pack. Fully charged, it should read a bit more than 11 volts. First, charge it at 0.1C (60 milliamperes in your case for a 600 mah pack) for at least 15 hours. If the voltage is not now greater than 11 volts, you have one or more bad cells. If the voltage is okay, then discharge at about 0.3C (180 milliamperes for the 600 mah pack) down to 0.9 volts per cell ( 7.2 volts for the 8 cell pack) and note the mah's that you were able to take out. It may take 3 cycles of this slow charge/discharge to bring the cells to their maximum capacity. If, after the final charge/discharge cycle you do not get at least 480 mah's out, the pack is probably not worth using; at least for anything where reliability is required.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:05 PM
carl24bpool

Thanks Rodney. Much appreciated.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:09 PM
carl24bpool

Also i tried setting my charger to cycle as its the only way it tells me what its taken out and put in but at charging rate of 0.1amp it manages to cycle twice in a few hours. Surely once discharged at this rate it should take at least 10 hours to charge before the charger starts discharging?
Old 07-30-2013, 04:42 PM
karolh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With the mA readings as low as you have indicated after two cycles I suspect that the battery pack is dead and should be replaced.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:54 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: karolh

With the mA readings as low as you have indicated after two cycles I suspect that the battery pack is dead and should be replaced.
I totally agree..

I had an old Tamiya flat Nicd pack that showed similar readings.. it was dead...

Old 07-31-2013, 01:39 AM
carl24bpool

Okay, thanks guys.

They are old battery packs. Around maybe 14 years old. lol.

I'll try cycling my new nimh packs to check they work to capacity. That way I know I'm using hte charger right.

Also the charger didn;t come with a power supply so I found one at home that was for an external hard disk. Its rated 12v and 1.5A.

If I am charging up say a 9.6v battery would it still be possible with this poser supply to charge at say 3A or due to the low input would this not be possible?
Old 07-31-2013, 01:46 AM
Goldenduff

I would say not. Your power supply can supply 12vx1.5= 18watts. Call it 15 due to heat loss.

You are asking for 9.6v x3a= 28.8watts.

With 15watts charging a 9.6v battery you will only manage to charge at around 1amp. That's by my calculations anyway, I have been wrong before and there will be more subtleties such as the termination voltage of the battery. Your charger will soon show an error if you try to charge at over 1.5v ("low input voltage" for example). That said maybe best keep an eye on given it is a new set up!