Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Battery ID ?????? Help !

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Bullitt4248

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery ID ?????? Help !

Help !

My battery pack has 6 - AA NI cad batteries chained - the combine to produce 7.2V 1.4AH cell/pack. I have tried to match them up by size - no luck there rounder (fatter) than a AA - The case of each battery is steel not light weight like the ones you buy now. They are soldered two rows of three.

On the side of the casing is printed DB-16 and under that YA 11 C -

These came out of a Stenograph machine Power PAK - I am trying to restore it and no one sells these size batteries.

Can anyone direct me to a outlet ?

Thanks !
Old 12-18-2013, 10:38 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let's see, standard AA's NMIH batteries are made with up to about 3ah capacity.
A 7.2 voltage rating would mean that the Ni-Cad cells are 1.2v nominal cells.
(Ok so far)
What is the actual cell size?
The numbers you listed are similar to some on 9.6v TX nicad packs from Sanyo
www.batterystore.com may be a source for info and possibly replacements.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:19 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

For your application, take the battery to any of the good battery stores common in any larger city. They can pretty well match the battery up to the cells they have and weld together a pack in any shape (configuration) you want. If you can't go to a store, you can order from any one of dozens of battery companies online and again in any configuration you want. You should try to find their capacity and you could probably determine this by age ..... being a Stenograph machine I'm guessing it has some age on it so the batteries were probably lower capacity in the 500 to 750 MAh range. You will need to know for sure whether they are NiCd or NiMh. Surely you can find this and the capacity online somewhere. It is difficult to determine either of these specs from the cells themselves unless they are a common brand and the numbers can be cross referenced.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:17 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bullitt4248
Help !

My battery pack has 6 - AA NI cad batteries chained - the combine to produce 7.2V 1.4AH cell/pack. I have tried to match them up by size - no luck there rounder (fatter) than a AA - The case of each battery is steel not light weight like the ones you buy now. They are soldered two rows of three.

On the side of the casing is printed DB-16 and under that YA 11 C -

These came out of a Stenograph machine Power PAK - I am trying to restore it and no one sells these size batteries.

Can anyone direct me to a outlet ?

Thanks !
you said you dont know what the atual cell size is? it may be an off size cell like a 2/3A or 2/3AA http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/cus...stomPacks.aspx