Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Lipo Explosion

Old 03-24-2014, 01:58 PM
tonywayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo Explosion

Charged at 6 amps 14 volts for 30 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrbP3AMMsbM
Old 03-26-2014, 08:11 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm not sure what this proved as no text or speech accompanies the video or this post. Was this an attempt to see if a LiPo battery would burn if improperly charged? Was it being charged with a quality CCCV charger at the proper rate? What was the deal here?

I've been known to pound a nail through a few of these batteries just for kicks and yes they burn just like the one in the video .... but other than a bit of excitement on a boring day, what does any of this prove except that Lithium will burn quite well?
Old 03-28-2014, 05:37 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

This was also posted in the RcGroups forum. Same responce from everyone. Whats the point?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:47 PM
Donwebster

Just show he had new try about lipo charge....hahaha
Old 04-01-2014, 08:01 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It proves that an abused battery can cause a violent event. At one time, automobile lead acid batteries could also explode when shorted.
The current plastic cased automobile batteries may have an internal strap between the cells and posts that should melt before the battery explodes.
Even a high current dry lead acid battery (think large flashlight battery) can explode when mistreated.

Because of the high current capability, Lipo's do have a violent failure mode. If a cell becomes shorted, internally or externally, the current induced heat buildup
can result in a rather violent reaction. A problem can exist due to a defect in manufacturing that rears it's head when the battery is charged and just 'sitting there".
(Cell shorts internally, causing a chain reaction that results in the cell overheating, and cooking the adjacent cells, which then join the action. Ask Boeing about the details!)

Last edited by chuckk2; 04-02-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:15 AM
dontrinko

IMO; Not always but most lipo problems are caused by someone doing something they should not do, Charging at a high rate and puncture are two i can thing of at the moment. Don
Old 04-02-2014, 02:21 AM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything that stores energy has the potential to be dangerous.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:28 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Just show he had new try about lipo charge....hahaha
What's this mean? Is English your second (or third, fourth...,) language?

I agree, a pointless video without some sort of explanation. Charged at 3C at too high a voltage..., DOH!
Old 04-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Rodney

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not only pointless, the title is miss leading, that is NOT an explosion, it is burning; quite a difference. Now a Pb can explode when overcharged (hydrogen gas) but a LiPo, no but the LiPo can and will burn if given the proper stimulus.