Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Charging lipo without balancing

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Charging lipo without balancing

Old 11-09-2014, 06:15 PM
josh h

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging lipo without balancing

I've been researching a while and keep coming up with mixed opinions on charging lipo's without balancing. For some reason, my charger has decided to no longer balance my batteries or recognize that the balancing plug is connected. My question is this, can I still use them but just charge at a low rate? I read somewhere that at a real low charge rate, it kinda "self balances" the cells. But I'm scared to try it. So any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:26 PM
chuckk2

A safe alternative is to charge cells individually.
You might also be able to use an external balancer.
Or, It may be time for a new charger. Just make sure that
you didn't somehow set a no balance mode or option before you
decide to get a new charger.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:49 PM
josh h

It's a tp610 charger that automatically checks for a balance plug before charging. It says checking balance status for a few seconds and the it says no balancer connected and asks if I want to continue charging. It sucks, I have 6 2s packs that i can't run in my truck and only 1 nimh.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:05 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Most of the time you can get away with charging without balancing if the cells are not too far apart in voltage from one another. The problem is if one cell in your 2s pack is higher then the other, the charger keeps charging util the total charge reaches 8.4v. It has no idea what each cells voltage is. So it is passible to over charge one cell way above 4.2v per cell to reach a Total of 8.4v. This is a perfect recepie for a fire. The other issue is if you use LVC (low voltage cutoff) to stop the use of battery, the low cell can go way below 3.0v/cell while the other cell may still be above that threshold. This can permanently damage the battery.

It's best to invest in a cheap external balancer such as this http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMGS7 or buy a good charger. In general its not a good idea to cheap out on chargers and balancers, especially if you are using LiPo chemisty. Incorrect charging/discharging/balancing/storing/usage is what causes most of the fires you hear about.

Last edited by DrV; 11-09-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:31 AM
josh h

I guess I'll just wait until I can get another charger. I guess I'll start looking into which one to get. I figured at 140 bucks with good reviews, my thunder power would've lasted longer.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by josh h View Post
It's a tp610 charger that automatically checks for a balance plug before charging. It says checking balance status for a few seconds and the it says no balancer connected and asks if I want to continue charging. It sucks, I have 6 2s packs that i can't run in my truck and only 1 nimh.
You will probably find it is something as simple as a loose wire connection either inside your charger or the balance port.

What type of balancing port are you using? directly into the charger or an external "muti size" port?

I wouldn't charge too many cycles without balancing.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:43 PM
josh h

It's a multi plug adapter that I just bought to replace my other one. And I pulled the charger apart to check out the port on the charger and it's soldered directly to the circuit board. I hooked the battery directly to the charger and just keeps saying "checking int balancer data". Never leaves that screen.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:08 PM
chuckk2

An interim solution is to charge one cell at a time via the balance leads.
You set the charger for one cell, then just connect leads to the
cell you wish to charge, observing the polarity.
A two cell lipo with a balance connector usually has
two larger red(+) and black(-) high current leads and
three balance connector leads.
The center pin of the balance connector allows connection to
the internal lipo connection between the two cells.
When charging the low cell, The black(-) power lead can be used,
with the balance connector center pin used as (+).
The high cell is connected to the red power lead(+)
and the balance connector center pin (-)
Use a lower charge current than you might use when charging normally.
If the center balance lead gets warm, the current is likely higher than appropriate.

Last edited by chuckk2; 11-12-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:20 PM
catboater
My Feedback: (51)

I know a couple of guys with TP chargers and they both hate them. Hard to use and hardly ever work right, especially the balancing feature. I'd move on to something else. You'll just ruin your packs otherwise.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:19 PM
josh h

Yeah, I ended up just buying a hitec X1 touch at my lhs and still use my TP for my ni-mh packs. I hate going to the hobby shop. Went in for shock oils and aluminum caps for my pede and ended up walking out with oil, a charger, and an e-maxx... It was just so beautiful sitting there lol.