Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Nicad to Lipo conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 02:59 PM
fargophil
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nicad to Lipo conversion

I have an old R/C car that originally used a 7 cell battery in a 5*2 configuration. Obviously that is not an available configuration nowadays. Since the system is a brushed motor with an old Novak ESC is there any technical reason why I can't use a 7.4v Lipo battery? I realize I would be off a volt but want to make sure there is nothing about the old ESC or brushed motor that would make the lipo unhappy or be unhappy with the lipo.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:27 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Just make sure to use a charger that's capable of balancing LiPo packs.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:30 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fargophil
I realize I would be off a volt ....
A 2S LiPo battery when fully charged is 8.4 volts ... You will get the same performance from a 2S LiPo pack as a 7 cell NiMh battery. You probably will get better performance actually.

The only other thing to consider, besides a LiPo balancing charger, is having a ESC with LVC (low voltage cutoff). You don't want the cells to drop below 3v/cell. If a new ESC is out of the question, there are cheap ($3~$4) Lipo Battery Tester/Low Voltage Buzzer/Alarm out there (cheaper here, but located in China) that you can use to warn you when your preset low voltage is reached.

Last edited by RustyUs; 09-12-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:37 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't know lipo's need to have a cut off voltage in the speed control or you could take them down to low and the batteries may puff and become unstable. I have seen lipos drawn down to far and they become damaged and even dangerous as they can burst into flames hours after they have been used. Lipos are great but you have to care for them properly. I just repaired an old Lunch Box for a guy who wants to introduce his young son to rc cars and both nicads and nickel metal batteries are still available.

Dennis
Old 10-01-2015, 03:04 AM
TannBovet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there should not be any problem for using your brushed motor with LiPo. Please specify your voltage and current requirement for the motor. Choose a LiPo that can meet your motor requirements and it will work fine. But take care of the overcharging of the LiPo.

Last edited by TannBovet; 10-05-2015 at 01:54 PM.