Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Why do I only get 10 minutes play?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Why do I only get 10 minutes play?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 11:08 AM
JaackBrown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do I only get 10 minutes play?

I just bought a RC Buggy yesterday for £100. The battery is a 1800mAh 7.2V 6 Cell Ni-mH. I charge it for about 8 hours and it died after 10 minutes, should this be happening?
Old 06-04-2016, 09:38 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Should this be happening? Probably. The battery may need several charge discharge cycles before it reaches maximum capability.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:10 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

1/18 scale? 10 minutes of run time for 1800mah capacity packs sounds about right. It all depends on driving style, motor, what surface you're driving on, and having a proper gear mesh setting. Any binding issues will shorten run time as well.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:07 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I am assuming it is an Exceed 1/10 4WD buggy as they include 1800MAh 6 cells with their buggies. 10 minutes is normal for that runtime. I'd suggest a good LiPO setup to prevent problems later with compatibility with other cars.

LiPO; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...-with-uni-plug

Charger; http://www.rcplanet.com/venom-ac-spo...FdgJgQodulAMvQ

Leads for battery; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA99W3RP8068
Old 06-05-2016, 07:31 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The short answer is you need a more advanced charger and a couple of more batteries if you want to run it more than once a day. The advanced charger can charge the batteries faster, and more of them means you can drive when the others are charging.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:29 PM
HRB battery

hi, if you buy the new battery ,you should let the battery reach the real capacity .you need charger and discharge 3 times above, let the battery reach the same capacity , hope my idea can help upi
Old 06-16-2016, 10:58 AM
The Saylors

I'm a huge nickle pack hater so my opinion is go for a couple of lipo's and call it good. The batteries that come with rtrs are never worth using aside from bench test to make sure mods/new parts are working before i turn the 3s pack loose on it. I have always felt the nickle batteries are more for teaching the kids how to drive without all the risk.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:12 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Remember this?

Originally Posted by The Saylors
I'm a huge nickle pack hater so my opinion is go for a couple of lipo's and call it good. The batteries that come with rtrs are never worth using aside from bench test to make sure mods/new parts are working before i turn the 3s pack loose on it. I have always felt the nickle batteries are more for teaching the kids how to drive without all the risk.
Do you remember using 1400mah NiCds? Rusty thinks he can even remember some yellow 1200mah Sanyo cells being used in his RCs back in the day . Trying to make it through a four minute race back then seemed to last forever while on the driver's stand. Now Rusty is putting a date on himself .
Old 06-17-2016, 08:20 AM
The Saylors

LOL i know i'm so spoiled these days but i dont think i could ever go back to those days. lol i still have 4 of those packs from 20 years ago just as a reminder of what we must never do again. I admit IT WAS very fun, but the new fun IS better no matter how you slice it. I remember thinking how lucky i was to have four packs at my disposal, thats like 18 min OMG thats, like, all day!!! Now one pack is like 6 of those