Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

LiPo abnormality, need help! 6.63V cell?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

LiPo abnormality, need help! 6.63V cell?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 08:16 AM
Marciatelli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation LiPo abnormality, need help! 6.63V cell?

Hi guys,
Ive been playing around with my truggy and all the good stuff, you know, just casually bashing.
Thats what I charge with
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._UK_Plug_.html
Thats what I charge
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=29002

Batteries have been performaning nice but an issue occured. This is I guess an issue for an advanced enthusiast.
Yesterday I have been playing around with my truck, was driving in a straight line when suddenly the battery shuts down completely. The battery was mid-run, around 4.0V per cell.
The battery alarm/meter went all crazy and started beeping and flashing, no readings and the truck did not move (ESC restart didnt help).
Before I start, I have a good knowledge when it comes to the lipo batteries, both on mechanical and chemical level, I also trust my hands to not burn the house down (i have all the security measures in place).
I have had the battery taken apart today, soldering points checked, nothing mechanical as it seems, everything is sane. Battery is not damaged, soldered correctly, connectors checked as well, its all good. No shortages either.
Generally has not been beaten up or abused, just a casual use. Always discharged to 3.6V per cell, always charged to 4.2V and stored at 3.8V.

battery taken apart and as seen, everyhting seems sane.

I have started diagnosing this using my charger and here are the pictures and results of this:

This is the battery meter setting where voltage of each cell is shown (only balancer plug is plugged in) (spot the easter egg)

This is the same screen but after I plug in the main discharge leads. Cell 2 jumps to 4.13V from 3.89V as soon as positive electrode is plugged in.

Both balancer plug and discharge plugs plugged in, showing the total voltage for the 4S pack as well as H - Highest voltage cell and L - Lowest voltage cell
fully charged should be 16.8V as we have 4 cells charged up to 4.2V.

This is the resistance reading for the cells, few charge cycles back I have checked this battery and it was a good 4-5 mOhms per cell, something like 4, 4, 5, 4.

Of course this pack seems to be a bust, but I would like some imput to why this could be happening for any guys out there that had this happening or any possible fixes as the pack is bordeline not cheap.
Thanks for your input,
Mark.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160801_163526.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2175395   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160801_163535.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2175396   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160801_163542.jpg
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2175397   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160801_163629.jpg
Size:	877.8 KB
ID:	2175398   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160801_163645.jpg
Size:	768.8 KB
ID:	2175399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160801_163655.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	626.6 KB
ID:	2175400   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160801_163704.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	2175401  
Old 08-01-2016, 06:12 PM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a second opinion... Get another meter and read the voltages again to see if the Accucell is in fact displaying the correct voltages. If the new meter is showing the same voltages, throw away your charger as it should have stopped charging (lipo) at +/- 4.200 volts. Then discharge your battery down to 3.6 v/cell and charge back to 100%, then discharge to 3.6v. See if this recovers the battery or else toss it. Anything above 4.3 volts should permanently kill the cell. Basically, I think you have a charger problem that can't be fixed.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:26 PM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure that you didn't charge the pack with a non LIPO/LIFE setting? This charger has many safeguards against over charging a single cell using these settings. You're lucky you didn't burn down your house. Every time I have seen a battery that has an overcharge condition on a cell it always goes back to a charger error. Sorry, but no cheap fix on this... Just consider yourself lucky and move on... sorry about the strong medicine