Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Volts vs MAH question

Old 08-05-2016, 08:53 AM
FenderBean

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Volts vs MAH question

Hi folks I was wondering which is better when running a light set in your model.
The light set can handle a 6volts up to 12volts. If the light brightness doesn't change with when I go higher voltage and the load is set for the number of lights would it be better to go 6volts and higher MAH so I can go longer without charging and have less weight due to the smaller pack. Depending on the answer I may run and LiFe 6.6 2600 pack or I could run a Lipo 7.4 5000 pack or Lipo 11.1 2200 pack. If the batteries can all handle the amps about the same what is the benefit to running a higher voltage pack? Electrical stuff is my weak area
Old 08-05-2016, 08:57 AM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LiFe nominal voltage of 6.6V is ideal for your light set. Going to higher voltage will just increase the current draw.
Pete
Old 08-05-2016, 09:23 AM
FenderBean

so less electrons to push through? which would reduce heat I guess. So I will go with a lower volts and as high as MAHs that I need.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:52 PM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

Clarification! Mah (Milli-Ampere/Hours)is the measure of the capacity of a battery. The amount of current flowing in a circuit - like your lights, is measured in mA (Milli-Amperes)
Lowering the applied voltage will lower the current, increasing it will increase the current. You seem not to recognize it, but lowering the voltage, which will lower the current, will most definitely lower the light output of your bulbs. You might use the brilliance that you require to determine the best battery (voltage) for your application.
Look up "Ohm's Law". If it is explained properly , any middle-school-er can understand it!
Old 08-08-2016, 11:53 AM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by EloyM View Post
Clarification! Mah (Milli-Ampere/Hours)is the measure of the capacity of a battery. The amount of current flowing in a circuit - like your lights, is measured in mA (Milli-Amperes)
Lowering the applied voltage will lower the current, increasing it will increase the current. You seem not to recognize it, but lowering the voltage, which will lower the current, will most definitely lower the light output of your bulbs. You might use the brilliance that you require to determine the best battery (voltage) for your application.
Look up "Ohm's Law". If it is explained properly , any middle-school-er can understand it!
The output to the lights is regulated in the controller, I could put 24volts in and it will still be the same as the 6v. The controller is a speed type controller and I already tested your theory voltage does not change the LED brightness.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:59 PM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

FenderBean - My information is correct. What you are seeing is the effect of the "controller", which may be a voltage regulator or a current regulator or a combination. Had you mentioned that in your original description, if I answered at all, it would have been to tell you that it is difficult to analyse and totally understand a circuit like yours without making measurements at various point. Luck Eloy