Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

New to rc have several questions

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

New to rc have several questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 02:15 PM
JoshJdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to rc have several questions

Hi I'm working on my first plane and have all the servo stuff worked out, but do I need a separate battery for my servos and one for my receiver? I was thinking a 4.8v but what kind? Keep in mind I'm a beginner!!
Old 12-06-2016, 03:11 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

No, in most cases one battery to power them both is fine. I would recommend a 6V (5 cell NiMh) like this: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNHS4&P=ML

Mike.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:08 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
First you need to tell us if it's an electric or glow/gasoline powered plane. Also ,except for very large planes, the receiver provides the servos with power.

If it's electric you typically won't need a separate battery pack to power the receiver as the receiver power comes from the ESC that is powered by the main flight battery. On larger electrics it is a good idea to disable the ESC's receiver power and install a separate battery to power the receiver.

If it is glow or gasoline powered then typically one battery will be adequate with exception of larger planes with higher power servos.

Also make sure to install a good quality switch between the battery and the receiver. Planes have been lost because the pilot decided to go cheap with the switch.

Good luck !
Old 12-07-2016, 12:56 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Josh if you are using a 72 MHz radio system then a four cell (4.8v) battery pack is fine in your Cadet Junior but if you are using a 2.4 radio system I would use only a six cell (6.0v) pack such as that suggested by Mike Mayberry above.

By the way the little .28 Sportsters were great engines and I have used many of them in the full range of sizes in the past

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 12-07-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:40 PM
JoshJdog

Thanks for your time I appreciate all the help!
Old 12-11-2016, 02:40 PM
JoshJdog

Just curious does anyone know what the technical name for that switch is? Are they standard or do you need different ones for different battery sizes? Thanks
Old 12-11-2016, 03:31 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Josh, No you do not need in your application any of the expensive deluxe switchs just the normal Switch/charge harness. And no the capacity of the battery makes no difference to the switch. The battery linked in post #2 MikeMayberry who is a Hitec rep is the ideal battery for your application.

Josh you still have not disclosed whether you are using a 72 Mhz system or a 2.4 system???
Its hard to get answers when you do not fully disclose needed information.

John
Old 12-11-2016, 09:08 PM
JoshJdog

Sorry for not giving you all the information needed. I will be using a 2.4 system