Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Pretty sure I ordered wrong lipo battery

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Pretty sure I ordered wrong lipo battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 08:59 PM
ITHURTZ1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pretty sure I ordered wrong lipo battery

So, I have a dual brushless setup I just installed, each can handle 2s and well I wasnt thinking and ordered a 4s battery to feed them both at the same time. So I am pretty sure 4s doesnt divide itself to 2 s which would blow both the esc's up and while waiting for this 4s to come in the mail I need to find the correct battery I need to use.

I need the run times (mah) so the higher the better, but with dual motors it wont help. So with 2s whats the best option, staying with 2s, or going for 2s1p,2s2p? This would be the first time touching lipos so its a little new to me.

Forgot to post motor specs, I have 2 of these.
ESC Specs:
Continuous Current: 80A
Burst Current: 95A
Battery: 2 cells Lipo (5-6 cells NI-xx)
Motor type: Sensorless brushless motors

Last edited by ITHURTZ1; 02-24-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:57 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I only buy 2S1P LiPo batteries. You will usually start to see 2S2P packs when capacities go above 5000mah. Manufacturers will actually use 4 cells to make large capacity 2S packs by putting two of the four cells in parallel; thus combining capacities of the parallel cells. I don't want to dig deep in the subject, as people use very high capacity packs all the time. The problem that I can't past my head, with 2S2P packs, is chargers not being able to "see" all four cells through a balance lead....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batt...rent-flaw.html
Old 02-25-2018, 06:50 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When 2 cells are wired in parallel along with 2 cells wired in series the 2 cells wired in parallel are charged as one cell.
A 2S2P pack will have a 3-wire balance lead and the charger is set up to balance a 2-cell pack. The charger won't see 4-cells as the packs 4 cells are not all wired in series. It will only see 2-cells wires in series and the other 2 cells wired in parallel each act with the other cell as one large cell

This may help explain things a bit:
R/C Calculations
Old 02-25-2018, 12:05 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
When 2 cells are wired in parallel along with 2 cells wired in series the 2 cells wired in parallel are charged as one cell.
A 2S2P pack will have a 3-wire balance lead and the charger is set up to balance a 2-cell pack. The charger won't see 4-cells as the packs 4 cells are not all wired in series. It will only see 2-cells wires in series and the other 2 cells wired in parallel each act with the other cell as one large cell...
...and is why I don't buy 2S2P packs.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:30 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by ITHURTZ1
So, I have a dual brushless setup I just installed, each can handle 2s and well I wasnt thinking and ordered a 4s battery to feed them both at the same time. So I am pretty sure 4s doesnt divide itself to 2 s which would blow both the esc's up and while waiting for this 4s to come in the mail I need to find the correct battery I need to use.

I need the run times (mah) so the higher the better, but with dual motors it wont help. So with 2s whats the best option, staying with 2s, or going for 2s1p,2s2p? This would be the first time touching lipos so its a little new to me.

Forgot to post motor specs, I have 2 of these.
ESC Specs:
Continuous Current: 80A
Burst Current: 95A
Battery: 2 cells Lipo (5-6 cells NI-xx)
Motor type: Sensorless brushless motors
Everyone's situation (RC platform) and power plant is different. I don't know about others, but I would rather have extra set of batteries, and let my RC have a chance to rest/cool down before next run. I purposely bought many 4000-ish mAh packs so I could have great run times for multiple RCs, and just keep rotating/charging/running all day long if need be.