Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Sub-C NiCd's with Different capacities

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Sub-C NiCd's with Different capacities

Old 03-28-2018, 06:11 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub-C NiCd's with Different capacities

Was cycling a couple of sub-C NiCd batteries used in my glow driver, typically 1700SCR's. Had a couple of other sub-C's that came with on-board glow drivers. Surprised that they tested at around 3,000 mAhr. Went online and found that such capacities are available. (Initially thought my cycler was bad!) What are the trade-offs for the higher capacity?
Old 03-29-2018, 01:29 AM
tntpooof

only trade off is your lower mah Nixx will have less starts.than the higher mah Nixx.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:53 AM
jameighan

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic View Post
Was cycling a couple of sub-C NiCd batteries used in my glow driver, typically 1700SCR's. Had a couple of other sub-C's that came with on-board glow drivers. Surprised that they tested at around 3,000 mAhr. Went online and found that such capacities are available. (Initially thought my cycler was bad!) What are the trade-offs for the higher capacity?
I think that the only way one can get more mAhr out of the cell without changing it's enclosure size is to increase the surface area of the cell electrodes by utilizing thinner electrode foil and reduce the separator thickness. This would be the same for NiMH cells also. If the charge rate is at C/10 and the charge cycle stops on the negative peak, cell life should be the same as lower rated mAhr cells which can tolerate higher charge rate currents.

At least that is how I understand the cell construction,
Jim Meighan