Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Hydrimax???

Old 06-29-2019, 12:20 PM
djmp69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Hydrimax???

Whatever happened to these batteries? Can't find them, no LHS can get them apparently. My LHS can only get these stupid Onyx batteries that have lost over half their capacity in less than a year. The Hydrimax batteries would hold their capacity for at least 3-4 years. If I can't get Hydrimax anymore, anybody have any good alternative? At $50 a pop, and proper installation technique, I really don't feel like swapping out batteries every year...
Old 06-30-2019, 08:06 AM
pkoury
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched to LiFeP04 A123 batteries over 13 years ago. I have been in the hobby for quite a while going from dry cells, to Nicads, to Nimh, to Lipo, Lion, and now LiFeP04. By far the LiFeP04 batteries have been the least troublesome of them all. Almost non-existent self discharge and the ability to safely charge while in the airplane. Does take a special charger and while the balance charge method is the best I routinely do not balance charge. Once a year I will do a balance charge just to check the pack and I have never found an out of balance condition. I took three two cell 10 year old packs out of flying airplanes even though they checked out fine as they were 10 years od. I made up a six cell pack to power my Sullivan Megatron starter used on engines up to 150cc. The starter pack is now going on 4 years and still working fine. It is subjected to all kinds of intentional abuse in an effort to make the pack fail with no luck. I buy my A123 packs from both Radcal RC and Electrodynamics. I use Cellpro4S chargers from revolectric.
https://radicalrc.com/
ElectroDynamics Inc
Revolectrix