Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Battery Connectors

Old 01-14-2020, 08:19 PM
oldblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Connectors

Like a lot of guys here I am getting back in to RC- been over 20 years- Now I get the Li-Po batteries are what's up right now- BUT it's the connectors are some what different- SO I want to know if it's ok to standardize all my connectors with Anderson Power Pole connectors- from the small batteries for my Losi mini crawler - to my updated Losi Desert "Monster" truck ? I am confused with some battery chargers I have seen on line that has multiple of plugs and one plug that goes into the charger via banana clips- Since I only have NiHc(?) battery experience any suggestions will be very helpful as I am still in the re-furb- process- Thanks in Advance
Old 01-15-2020, 05:18 AM
rgburrill

Get lots of adapters with short, or no, wires. HobbyKing has many different types. Can't say I've heard of Anderson Power Pole though. HobbyKing also has many different sizes of MiMH batteries and the capacities have gone way up in the last 20 years. I've got 2550 mAh AAs. Connectors sizes for LiPos for motors also depend on the discharge rating and capacity. XTs, for example, come in XT30, XT60 and XT90 sizes depending on if the battery can handle 30, 60 or 90 Amp discharge rates. Your best bet might be to go to your LHS and see if they have a bag of assorted adapters or at least assorted connectors and heavy gauge wire to make your own adapters.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:37 AM
oldblue

I saw a multi connector pigtail for a charger I saw on Amazon- Anderson Power Poles are used in Ham Radio (my other addiction haha) and was wondering if it would work- bottom line I guess a road trip to a hobby shop is needed- Thanks for the response- and yup like Rip Van Winkle I have a lot of catching up to do
Old 01-15-2020, 04:24 PM
tedsander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh my, I'm discussing that right now with a returning club member who is overloaded with the changes in the hobby. Guys will debate the connector specs till the cows come home. Use what your are comfortable with, sized for the current, and will fit inside whatever you are putting the batteries in. You may want to shop a bit to see what "most" batteries you will be using already come with, and then standardize mostly on those. Just to save having to cut and solder. But more than likely, you will be collecting a several charge cords with varying plugs. At the LHS today I saw one for sale that had the standard banana plugs for the charger, but multi for 12 (!) different connectors at the other end. That was just overkill.....
Old 01-16-2020, 11:21 AM
oldblue

Thanks- yeah in Ham Radio a majority of the power connectors are Anderson Power Poles about 30amp but the less cutting and soldering the better- I was not sure about them pig tails but yeah this is a big wake up call- I just found out NOVAK went out of business- sheeesh-