Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

2x2 AA space RX pack recommendations

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

2x2 AA space RX pack recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 09:10 AM
Pow_2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2x2 AA space RX pack recommendations

TL;DR version... seeking recommendations of rechargeable receiver packs that can fit in the space of a 4AA (2x2 config) battery pack. Full version follows.

Breaking out my old RC gear after at least 15 years in storage. Picking up a new radio w/Futaba R304SB receiver. Will be dropping this in my old Traxxas Nitro Hawk (owned since release day in 1992!) and I noticed Futaba states not to use dry cells with the receiver. Also that the receiver supports voltage of 4.8v-7.4v, so that opens options for the battery. But I would like to keep the pack in the Hawk's rear cradle that was designed for the classic 2x2 AA brick and not try to create a mounting tray in the chassis tub. Any recommendations on what would fit back there and provide good power? Yeah, I could just drop in NiCd/NiMH cells to the 2x2 tray and run that, or pick up a unit like the Tenergy 4.8v 2000mAh pack. (I've had good luck with Tenergy products, using them everywhere for house devices.) But I'm thinking a LiPo pack could provide more power with less weight in a smaller package. Padding out the tray with foam to take up space is acceptable to me. Something that would fit in the approximately 57mm x 30mm x 28mm space. Not looking to build my own pack, but if that really would be the best route I could do it with a guide. I'm aware if I go to LiPo I'd also need to invest in a charger designed to balance charge cells since this will need to be a muti-cell pack to provide over 4.8v.

Thanks for the input guys! It was great to hear that nitro spin up after all these years and I'm looking forward to putting more time on the old Hawk, maybe invest in a new nitro later. Digging the look of the Losi 8ight series.