Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

LiPo storage and use frequency

Old 06-24-2020, 04:37 AM
Sti491

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LiPo storage and use frequency

Hi all. I am pretty new flying electric planes, but have studied up on Lipo charging, Storage, Cell balancing, etc. I have seven 3s LiPos that I either fly to 30% or use my charger to get to safer storage level after flying when I return home. Then the morning I fly, I fully balance charge them. I fly maybe twice a week.

I just purchased a Sullivan 24v Dynatron starter, since my vintage 1984 12v starter was too punky for my bigger glow engines. I put a 22v 6s LiPo on the starter so itís self contained with no cord, and powerful at the top of its voltage range. Itís a nice setup and very powerful.

My question is, flying on average two times per week, do I need to put that 6s LiPo in storage level at 30% every time I return home from flying?
Old 06-24-2020, 08:53 AM
ticedoff8

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My question is, flying on average two times per week, do I need to put that 6s LiPo in storage level at 30% every time I return home from flying?
No.
IMHO: You may be being overly cautious with the treatment of all your LiPo batteries.
As you gain experience, you will relax a little.
LiPo cells don't break down overnight, so letting them sit at a full-charge, "storage charge" or 30% for a few days / weeks really can't cause any damage.
And, since you use the 6S LiPo in your starter, and use the starter a few times a week, just monitor it and don't let it get below 30% when you are at the field.
On my helis, I use a 2S2P LiPo pack in my Hanger 9 12V starter that spins my YS 120SR-X quite nicely. And, it will start my 3 nitro helis about 40 to 50 times before I have to recharge it. I just monitor it with a ESR / battery monitor plugged into the balance lead. When it gets to around 50%, I recharge. That can take a week or a month - depending on how the weather is.

Last edited by ticedoff8; 06-24-2020 at 10:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sti491 (06-26-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 12:09 PM
Sti491

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
No.
IMHO: You may be being overly cautious with the treatment of all your LiPo batteries.
As you gain experience, you will relax a little.
LiPo cells don't break down overnight, so letting them sit at a full-charge, "storage charge" or 30% for a few days / weeks really can't cause any damage.
And, since you use the 6S LiPo in your starter, and use the starter a few times a week, just monitor it and don't let it get below 30% when you are at the field.
On my helis, I use a 2S2P LiPo pack in my Hanger 9 12V starter that spins my YS 120SR-X quite nicely. And, it will start my 3 nitro helis about 40 to 50 times before I have to recharge it. I just monitor it with a ESR / battery monitor plugged into the balance lead. When it gets to around 50%, I recharge. That can take a week or a month - depending on how the weather is.

thanks so much! Thatís what I was hoping to hear.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:07 AM
Hokum52

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still, your prudence will be good for when you're not going to fly for a couple weeks (for example, if there's prolonged bad weather or if you're going on holidays), that's the right way to conserve Li-Po batteries for extended periods of time.
The following users liked this post:
Sti491 (06-26-2020)