Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Battery for handheld gas engine starter

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Battery for handheld gas engine starter

Old 12-07-2020, 03:36 AM
TimMillner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery for handheld gas engine starter

Battery recommendation for a handheld 12vstarter ?
Old 12-07-2020, 06:31 AM
tedsander

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Need more information....

What starter?
Do you mind if the starter is used with its cord, or do you want to go cordless?
If cordless, do you already have some kind of tray or holder attached to the starter? What dimensions of battery can fit?
If cordless, and no way to hold the battery (yet), are you up to making your own, or do you want a commercial solution?
For any, what charger do you have, and what capabilities (Lead-acid, Nicad, LiFe?)
How heavy/light do you want the setup to be?
Do you mind frequent recharging, or do you want it to last all summer?
How big an engine do you anticipate starting? Do you need it capable of delivering lots of oomph, or are you mostly using it for .25 to .60 glow?)

The range can be from a cheap lead-acid motorcycle battery, gel/agm sealed battery, or a LiFe pack.....

Me? I use a very big LiFe pack. Makes it a bit heavy and bulky. I had to make my own tray to hold it beneath the starter. I already had a charger that was compatible. But I literally only have to charge once, or at most twice, during the flying season......
Old 12-07-2020, 09:22 AM
rgburrill

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Gell cell motorcycle battery from AutoZone
Old 12-07-2020, 11:24 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (60)

I use a 2700 mah 4 cell LiPo on my Sullivan starter, have been for several years now. Works well. I've seen lots of different ways of holding such a battery, and you might find on ebay, etc. that some are 3D printing battery holders that work with the Sullivan starter for holding Lipos for this application.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:20 PM
TimMillner

Thank you for your response
Old 12-07-2020, 05:21 PM
TimMillner

Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
Gell cell motorcycle battery from AutoZone
Thank you for your response
Old 12-08-2020, 09:12 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (60)

Default starter battery

here's what I did with mine -

The metal box I made, along with the supports, many many years ago - back when you could buy 6 cell Sub-C NiCd packs for electric RC cars cheap. It was designed to hold two of those packs wired in series for 14.4 volts.

Now, it's got 2, 2S Lipo batteries, I think they were 2700 mah, wired in series, with a 4-s balance plug put on them. I charge through the balance plug with my Cellpro Multi-4 charger, it's designed to charge through the balance plug.

Don't have to charge it all that often, really. Starts .40 sized pylon race motors with ease, that's what it gets used for.

Old 12-11-2020, 12:09 AM
ticedoff8

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I use a 3S2P 2200mAh LiPo in my Hanger 9 for my helicopters. But, if you leave the rubber cup on the end, it will start a pretty big motor

Old 02-04-2021, 02:43 AM
batteryandcharger

Batteries and Chargers aim to provide reliable batteries and chargers that reduce your power cost and improve energy efficiency. We also offer reliable smart devices, flashlights, mobile phone holders, power banks, and mobile phone cases. All brands that we carry have the highest quality products that meet the industry standards and are reasonably priced.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:44 AM
SU29
My Feedback: (20)

Tim, you probably have already built you starter however I thought I would share mine anyway in case it can help you. I use a gear reduction starter and a 4 cell 2600 battery mounted on a piece of square tubing. A smaller 4 cell will also work or even a 3 cell would work. The adapter plate (red plastic) I machined to fit the starter and Velcro all in place for easy removal and maintenance. I also have a larger adapter for large spinners however I have never had to use it. This setup will start a 50cc gas and a Saito FA 220 engine. For small engines a 3 cell battery would work best. With the 4 cell installed it will spin the prop off on smaller engines.

I used this to mainly start my YS engines. Its nothing fancy but it works great and its about 15-20 years old now.

Jeff