Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

How long does it take for a glow plus igniter to charge?

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

How long does it take for a glow plus igniter to charge?

Old 12-17-2020, 09:37 PM
Ryanmblistyak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long does it take for a glow plus igniter to charge?

How long does it take for glow plus igniter to charge ?
Old 12-18-2020, 03:16 PM
tedsander

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Depends on what battery. If it is a NiCad, about 10 hrs.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:11 PM
ticedoff8

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Assuming it is a wall-charger that came with the igniter that has a NiCad / NiMH cell, then I would say 10hrs is the minimum and 24hrs wouldn't hurt it.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:54 AM
Retiredat38

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That depends. How long does it take to fill a bucket with water?

Are you using a fire hose or leaky faucet? And how big is the bucket?

A battery is similar. Because of technology batteries have different rates at which they can be charged. Some can be quite fast, a matter of minutes. While some can be quite slow and take hours. Should you try to charge one too fast it may catch fire and set fire to other things. Usually while you're not there to monitor it. And it's possible to charge it too slowly so it never gets a full charge. But that doesn't happen too often anymore.

Then we get to the charger. A charger that delivers 50 mAh (MiliAmpHour or 50 thousandths of an Amp per hour) will deliver that regardless what the battery can take. Ditto for a charger that delivers 2 Amps (2000 mA) or 40 times the current of the other charger. However should you again be foolish enough to connect the 2 amp charger to a battery requiring only 50 mAh, you quite possibly have a fire on your hands. Not to mention a ruined battery and possibly a ruined charger and house.

And don't forget, batteries of different chemistries often require different chargers. i.e. NiCd vs LiPo vs LiFe vs NmH and so on. So make sure the charger you use is made for the type battery you have.

So, read the labels. What type of battery is it? And what capacity is it? i.e. current in mA, NOT voltage (but voltage too is important).
And what does the charger for this battery provide in terms of voltage and current (mAh).

Now take the batteries capacity rating and divide it by the chargers current rating and you'll get a close approximation of the time it will take to charge it. i.e. a battery with a 1000mA capacity and a 50mAh charger will take 20 hours more or less to fully charge.

Learn how to do for yourself. Don't rely on others for answers. They're too often wrong!

Last edited by Retiredat38; 01-13-2021 at 07:58 AM.