Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

A123 connectors

Old 01-18-2021, 08:09 AM
voyager_663rd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A123 connectors

Been out of the hobby a loooong time and found I need to replace most/all of my NIMH batts. Decided on 2S A123's so I also needed a new charger and then extentions for balancing--> JST-XH 2S balance plug extension.

Got the charger & 2S A123's but every (and I mean every) time I search, I come up with extentions for lipos. The plugs LOOK the same as what's on the A123 (plug) but I can't seem to find anything that says "A123 extensions".

Are they the same plug? I'm thinking these are ok but just don't know.
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-18-2021, 08:45 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

Same thing
The following users liked this post:
voyager_663rd (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 11:54 AM
rgburrill

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

So you've been out of the hobby for a long time and when you get back in instead of just replace your NiMhs with newer, higher capacity NiMhs you "upgrade" to LiFe because that's the latest rage? Cool. Now when you plug your old radio equipment into those new cool LiFe batteries with the higher voltage ratings than the older NiMh batteries had let's hope there is not a lot of smoke coming out of the radios.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:46 PM
voyager_663rd

Long time = 5 yr so maybe, maybe not. In any case,
thank you for your concerns and comments. I did research these batts b4 making the buy. I currently run 72 and 2.4 with 5 cell NIMH and servos rated to 6.0v both on 40 size and giant.

From one source (he references nicd but I'm using nimh):

quote:
These are Lithiumís.. donít lithiumís need a Voltage Regulator for use as a an Rx pack?

Once more for you folks out there with LiPoly or LiIon systems.. no regulator is required for modern Rxís and Servos with these A123 LiFe 2 cell packs... because these packs at full charge and under load are operating at about 6.6v.. the same voltage level as a fully charged and loaded 5 cell 6v NiCad pack. If you have the latest generation 2.4 radio system and digital servoís rated at 6v and your system exhibits twitching or instability on an A123 2 cell pack then something is wrong with your Rx or Servos.Iíve had folks with 5 cell Nicad packs complain about twitch and jitter with some recent Hitec servos.. these were replaced by Hitec, problem solved. Folks, if your running some dinosaur Rx or antique servos, all bets are off; proceed assuming youíll be using 4 cell NiCad packs until you upgrade your radio gear. However, if your running antibody's 2.4 Rx system and modern digital servos rated for 6v operation youíll find the A123ís operate the system perfectly. Rule of thumb, if your running 5 cell 6v Rx packs without regulators, your good to go with A123ís and no regulators. Note: If youíre a Heli pilot with a gyro that wonít operate with a 6v Rx pack, then your outta luck too.

Q: Iíve got a DA Engine.. can I use this as an Ignition pack?

Yup.. according to DA there are no issues with LiFe packs with their ignition modules. Again, no regulator required. If youíve got something other than a DA engine with a different ignition module, youíll need to check with that mfg or distributor; but again, as a rule of thumb, if youíve had no difficulties running a 5 cell NiCad or NiMH pack on your ignition without a regulator then the A123ís should do just fine. Remember the loaded voltage of LiFe ignition pack is 6.6v.. the same as a fresh NiCad 5 cell pack.

The A123 FAQ for Giant Scale and IMAC

I think I"m good here.

Now, having said that, I've only put them in a 40 that runs 4S nimh. On the ground, no load (obviously), no jitters, all servos act normal. Up in the air under load, well I won't know will I till I get out there.

Again, thanks for your concern AND I will monitor them closely as a result.

Last edited by voyager_663rd; 01-18-2021 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:09 PM
tedsander

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

As a now long time convert to A123's (LiFePO4), what you've noted voyager_663rd is completely correct. You will have no issues. As for connectors - there's nothing special for them. What they have depends on where you got them from. Many main line suppliers sell them with "Futaba" style connectors for plugging in to your system, and a JST for balancing. Some use a second "Futaba" as a main charging lead and nothing else. TechAero sells theirs with a handy 3-wire "Futaba" connector so you don't have to have both a main power and a separate balance cord for charging. (the other end does split for plugging into your charger correctly). Others may come with a Deans, XT-60, or even EC-3 plugs for that purpose. (Actually, I think they are sold to car guys, who want the heavier wiring for high current outputs....) But, in any event, they are the same connectors as are used for LiPo's in electric planes.
The following users liked this post:
voyager_663rd (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 01:23 PM
voyager_663rd

That was the issue is why I posed the question: all references I found gave me lipo when I specifically searched for A123. And the price differential was significant: one was 50c and another was $3.

Now, I understand you get what you pay for but..... I remember way back when , HK came out with those "orange" rx. Well, at what, 10% of the cost of a regular Hitec rx, was I going to put them in my giant? Nope, I flew them multiple times in a coroplast bird. I gradually came to accept them in my balsa 40's but in my giant? Nope.

I needed to first confirm that these lipo plugs were the same as for A123. I've got that confirmation now so thanks :-)
Old 09-24-2021, 04:53 PM
jucava

Any update?

I have used the Fromeco batteries for a few years whit a regulator, no problem soo far. Start converting all my planes to LiOn lately and installing regulators rated at 5A and setting then up to 5.4V, will see.

Amazon Amazon

They are all 40 - 60 size airplanes.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:14 AM
davidlame

Originally Posted by voyager_663rd View Post
Been out of the hobby a loooong time and found I need to replace most/all of my NIMH batts. Decided on 2S A123's so I also needed a new charger and then extentions for balancing--> JST-XH 2S balance plug extension.

Got the charger & 2S A123's but every (and I mean every) time I search, I come up with extentions for lipos. The plugs LOOK the same as what's on the A123 (plug) but I can't seem to find anything that says "A123 extensions".

Are they the same plug? I'm thinking these are ok but just don't know.
I think they are the same plug , these are good
Old 10-04-2021, 05:07 PM
cyclops2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First time I ever heard of LIPO plugs.

All my batteries have the same XT 90 on battery supply leads & ESC battery leads. Doing it that simply for 65 years.