Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Question about whether a battery is going bad or not

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Question about whether a battery is going bad or not

Old 06-05-2021, 12:21 PM
obrien135

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about whether a battery is going bad or not

Is it battery starting to bulge if when you play it flat it can rock back and forth slightly when you press on it? In other words should his life flat and perfectly flat or is it slightly bulging if it will rock back and forth when you press any of the side of it?
Old 06-07-2021, 10:22 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

First off I am NO expert. But every LiPo pack I have ever had gets puffy during it's life span. I am however very careful when storing or charging. Always in a fire sack and stored in an ammo can. It's 100% possible I am pushing my luck. But the life span is terrible on them if you dispose of after they start to puff.

David
Old 06-12-2021, 09:23 AM
ticedoff8

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In general, heat will cause the LiPo cells to produces gases and they will puff.
Heat can be cause by 3 main things:
-Discharging too fast in use (the LiPo label is pure fiction. A pack labeled "60C Burst" may only provide 10C before it starts to overheat),
-Charging too quickly (again... labels lie) or over-charging (charging based on a timer or not using the balance-charge mode)
-Over-discharging / using the ESC's "Low Voltage Cutoff" instead of a timer or telemetry.
But, if the gases are reabsorbed when the pack cools, then you are okay. Just try not to do it again.
If the pack puffs and does not subside, then the damage is permanent.
When the puffiness doesn't subside, then you have to be careful with the pack for as long as you want to keep using it.
The real-discharge / real-charge rates will be lower and the flight times will be shorter.

There are pilots that can use a LiPo pack for years and never have them puff - mainly because the never stress the packs.
If you really want a pack to last forever, get an ESR / IT Meter MkII to tell you the real C-Rating of a pack and never exceed that discharge rate.
Then charge at 1C and set the "100%" charge to 4.1v / cell instead of 4.2v per cell.

I have 2S 2200mAh packs whose label's state "35C" maximum discharge rate. My ESR / IR Meter MkII tests them and says that are really only good to 5C.
But, I use them as receiver packs on my nitro helicopters.
After 5 years, they are as flat and firm as the day they were new (or, as my abs were when I was 21).
As long as I keep using my ESR / IR Meter MkII on them and its says they are okay, I'll keep using them.

Last edited by ticedoff8; 06-12-2021 at 10:20 AM.