Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

accidently discharged my life battery

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

accidently discharged my life battery

Old 08-02-2021, 04:04 AM
Dwayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default accidently discharged my life battery

As stated I accidently fully discharged my 3000ma life battery I use for my receiver/servos, when I put it on my charger it said voltage low and wouldn't charge it so I had to use NiMh to get some voltage in it before switching back to LiFe function, the battery is fairly new maybe 30 flights on it, never been run down before and I charge it after every flying session, so did I kill it? Or is it still good?

Last edited by Dwayne; 08-02-2021 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:16 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

They are pretty tolerant, i'd keep an eye on it and if you're really worried make it a bench battery for setup and testing but it's probably fine
Old 08-02-2021, 01:54 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Probably fine on a LiFe

David
Old 08-03-2021, 11:59 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

How much did the battery cost compared to how much the plane costs is the question I always ask.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:54 AM
fovoje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think that this is such an issue, right ?
Old 08-31-2021, 03:45 PM
thomb81

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same to a brand new $110 6S LiPo battery once. Was able to recharge by briefly putting the charger in NiMH mode before switching back.

My battery appears to take the same amount of charge as before. But I don't know if it's damaged and could let me down under heavy load. I did fly it once though, and didn't notice anything.

If you cycle it with realistic loads, and it behaves like normal without getting hotter than your other batteries, maybe it has survived? I don't know...
Old 08-31-2021, 03:57 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by thomb81 View Post
I did the same to a brand new $110 6S LiPo battery once. Was able to recharge by briefly putting the charger in NiMH mode before switching back.

My battery appears to take the same amount of charge as before. But I don't know if it's damaged and could let me down under heavy load. I did fly it once though, and didn't notice anything.

If you cycle it with realistic loads, and it behaves like normal without getting hotter than your other batteries, maybe it has survived? I don't know...
If you have a charger that shows IR of the cells you will know if you killed it or if its good to go
Old 10-04-2021, 05:23 PM
cyclops2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I try to destroy my A123 cells that are from when Black & Decker sold them in their o

I run 1 very old pack down to .25 volts sometimes in a vacuum cleaner. It is still at 90 % on all equal cells. A shotgun will kill them. But nothing else that is reasonable.