Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Another ec3 soldering question

Old 10-17-2021, 08:09 PM
Planecub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another ec3 soldering question

I have searched the internet and youtube on how to solder wires to ec3 connectors and have a minor issue and a bigger issue. Btw, I am using 12 gauge silicone wire. One problem I have is that the ec3 plugs I purchased from Amazon have a hole in the side of the connector. No matter how hard I try to avoid it, I get a solder bump on the side. I have to try to smooth the bump down so I can get the connector into the plastic housing. The bigger problem is that when I press the connector into the plastic housing using a screwdriver, I don’t hear that “satisfying” click. I can’t pull the plugs out with moderate pulling , but when I put a little more pressure on pulling the wires, I can pull the plugs out of the housing. I was wondering even if the plugs were somewhat tight, if I could still use the connectors since the female and male metal connectors still have a tight fit. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:41 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Ya, that little hole is a vent that prevents an air pocket.

An EC3 should click and lock, if you can pull the wires out I wouldn't use them, you can either try harder, get the right tool, or toss the cheapos and by some from EFlite or Progressive RC
Old 10-18-2021, 05:32 AM
Planecub

Thank you Andy. I was wondering if I got the connectors too cheap. Funny you mention ProgressiveRC. I was looking about the internet and found a tool that they have to punch the connectors into the housing. I purchased it as well as some new connectors to try to get a more professional connector.
How do I solder without getting the "solder bump"? I don't think I am putting too much solder in the connector.

Thanks again.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:36 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

The progressive EC3's don't have that hole, biggest thing is to make sure to tin everything and don't use an excessive amount of solder. There's a million videos on YouTube if you need some ideas
Old 10-18-2021, 09:17 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

All of my EC connectors have the vent hole and I have found a way that works for me. First I drill a hole in a hardwood block so I can stand the connector upright just deep enough to leave the solder side above the wood. I use a toothpick to coat the inside of the connector with very little flux then heat the outside opposite the vent hole and fill the hole with solder. If done right and regulating the heat you can fill the hole without solder coming out the hole (no bump).

Next bare the wire and twist together (do not tin) but put a little flux on the exposed wire. The solder in the connector has solidified so I lightly press the wire end with the flux against the solder and apply heat to the outside of the connector. When the solder melts the wire will slide all the way to the bottom of the solder side of the connector and there should be enough heat to allow the solder to tin and fill the strands of wire. When cool I dare you to try and pull the two apart. There is just enough solder in the connector to fill the strands of wire without pushing the solder out that little hole.

Not saying this is the only way but it works for me.

Dennis
Old 10-18-2021, 07:55 PM
Planecub

Thanks
Old 10-18-2021, 07:55 PM
Planecub

Thank you!