Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

LiPo Charger

Old 08-12-2022, 03:41 PM
Salty25
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LiPo Charger

I've been out of R/C flying for a few years and am getting back into it. I figured to start with a couple electric planes; mainly since I can't find any nitro fuel around. I picked up a Spektrum DX6e radio and a couple planes; one takes a 6S and the other takes a 2S.

I got a Spektrum S1200 charger it says it will charge 2S up to 6S. I didn't notice until I got it that it only takes AC power. So I can charge the batteries at home but once I get to the field I am limited to what I have for batteries to fly for the day. I haven't opened it yet so I am debating returning it and getting a different charger.

So my questions:
What's a good charger that will take DC?
Am I limited to either an AC or a DC charger or is there one that will take both?

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2022, 12:07 PM
ticedoff8

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Salty25 View Post
I've been out of R/C flying for a few years and am getting back into it. I figured to start with a couple electric planes; mainly since I can't find any nitro fuel around. I picked up a Spektrum DX6e radio and a couple planes; one takes a 6S and the other takes a 2S.

I got a Spektrum S1200 charger it says it will charge 2S up to 6S. I didn't notice until I got it that it only takes AC power. So I can charge the batteries at home but once I get to the field I am limited to what I have for batteries to fly for the day. I haven't opened it yet so I am debating returning it and getting a different charger.

So my questions:
What's a good charger that will take DC?
Am I limited to either an AC or a DC charger or is there one that will take both?

Thanks.
You may not have noticed, but the Spektrum S1200 charger will only charge Spektrum batteries. Well, it will do unbalance charge mode on non-Spektrum Smart batteries because there is no balancer plug port.
If you plan on using only Spektrum Smart batteries, then this is probably the best charger that Spektrum makes to charge their batteries.
But, I wouldn't use it on non-Spektrum batteries.
And, as far as I know, there is no other charger brand / model that will charge a Spektrum G2 battery.
My guess is that you bought the planes, the charger, the DX6e and the batteries from the same place, because they're a Spektrum dealer and that's all the got.
So, go ahead and unbox it if you plan to stick to Spektrum.
Old 08-13-2022, 03:50 PM
Salty25

I did get all the stuff in one place. There isn't a hobby store close; I'd have to drive about 100 miles to the nearest one. I ordered a couple of non-Spektrum batteries from Amazon that haven't arrived yet, but I did get two Spektrum 6S batteries with the plane.

I didn't know about the charger only working with Spektrum batteries. It does have a balance port on the front, but only charges one battery at a time.

I found the Hitec X2 AC Plus Black charger on Tower last night. It says it is uses either AC or DC to charge and comes with all the cables. But you're saying it won't charge the Spektrum batteries?
Old 08-13-2022, 05:18 PM
Salty25

Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
You may not have noticed, but the Spektrum S1200 charger will only charge Spektrum batteries. Well, it will do unbalance charge mode on non-Spektrum Smart batteries because there is no balancer plug port.
If you plan on using only Spektrum Smart batteries, then this is probably the best charger that Spektrum makes to charge their batteries.
But, I wouldn't use it on non-Spektrum batteries.
And, as far as I know, there is no other charger brand / model that will charge a Spektrum G2 battery.
My guess is that you bought the planes, the charger, the DX6e and the batteries from the same place, because they're a Spektrum dealer and that's all the got.
So, go ahead and unbox it if you plan to stick to Spektrum.
I did some searching on Spektrum's website. It seems the charger will charge other batteries; doesn't have to be a Spektrum model. However, you should only charge Spektrum batteries on a Spektrum charger. Their batteries don't have the balance lead so it won't be balanced if you use any other brand of charger.

I guess I'm alright with the S1200 for now. I will just charge the batteries I have at home and only fly a couple times when I go out. I'll just pick up a different charger later and make sure I don't get anymore Spektrum G2 batteries.
Old 08-16-2022, 05:23 PM
Charlie P.

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2014ish Hitec X1 Pro with a 12v/12A electric fence sealed acid battery I use at the field. Also the sister 120v/17A base power supply that fits below it for home use. Very handy and highly recommended but I believe discontinued. Best addition was an 19:1 "octopus" charging adapter to fit all the odd battery connections I use.

Never got around to standardizinglike I intended.

I do believe they have a next generation replacement.

Last edited by Charlie P.; 08-16-2022 at 05:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cecil Webb (09-11-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 09:27 AM
s3tbolt

If you want to keep in the Spektrum SMART family, the S1200DC is an options. The charger is a Gen1, has some bugs, can be firmware updated. The product line naming is confusing, however specifically look for the S1200DC, they cost about $80, what I do like about it, the input voltage can be low to 7v supporting a field box with Pb battery.
Old 09-01-2022, 07:06 AM
AvantiMan

I realize I'm a little late to the thread, but I'm in a similar situation. I flew in the 90's and only on nitro. I got into drones 18 months ago and just returned to fixed wing. I also bought a Spektrum DX6e. I was going to build this Nano Drak FPV plane, but I decided to go full-tilt back into while I'm working on it. I have an Avanti EDF and an Ugly Stick with a 4S and a Rimfire 25.

As for chargers: I had a little Tenergy balance charger I used to charge third party batteries for my drone to increase flight time. Once I started with 6000mah 6S batts and multiple 4S batteries, I needed something else. I just got my Hitech X4. My advice is this: If you're really getting back into it, buy one. There is nothing like it.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:09 AM
Salty25

Originally Posted by AvantiMan View Post
I just got my Hitech X4. My advice is this: If you're really getting back into it, buy one. There is nothing like it.
Thanks, I appreciate the info.