Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Newbie back to RC. Battery set up question. >

Newbie back to RC. Battery set up question.

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Newbie back to RC. Battery set up question.

Old 06-12-2023, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie back to RC. Battery set up question.

I am dusting off some of the old stuff and want to start flying again. I was just starting to get into some of the electric stuff when I stopped.
I have an eflite Extra 300 from about 5 years ago. It has maybe 20 flights on it. It has the Eflite outrunner 32 770kv on it with the eflite 60amp speed controller.
I got rid of all the batteries as I didnít want them laying around and possibly become a problem.

looking for descent amount of flight time and ample power to fly some small IMAC stuff. What would be a good battery setup for this and I would assume I will need a new charger as mine is somewhat out of date but it was really good 5 years ago.

thanks in advance.

pete
Old 08-01-2023, 06:10 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi PJ,
I also fly an Eflite Extra 300. I use 35C rated Roaring Top 4300 mah 3S Lipos from Altitude Hobbies. These are decent batteries and Altitude Hobbies sells them at a reasonable price. These provide flight times of 5 minutes after which the residual voltage is usually just above the normal storage voltage of 3.8 volts per cell. This leaves about 35% capacity left in the battery which provides about 2 minutes of safety buffer. The Eflite Extra 300 can also use 4S battery packs for more power. I have heard this can help when learning to hover, because the throttle response is much quicker when pumping the throttle to assist with yaw and pitch corrections. The down side of the 4S packs is that, contrary to the Eflite instructions, you will need to switch to a smaller prop. When I briefly tested a 4S battery with my watt meter, the amperage was close to 70 amps which could soon fry the 60 amp ESC. You would probably need to drop to about a 12x6 prop to keep it within limits. Using a 4S battery of 4000mah capacity would also be heavier than a 4300 mah 3S battery and would not significantly increase the flight time. Unless you are trying to learn serious 3D, I suggest staying with the 3S battery, which is sufficient to hover the plane If you are looking for more flight time and hovering is not important, then the extra weight of a 3S 5000 mah batttery should be manageable and provide 6.5 minutes flying time with a two minute reserve.

Welcome back,
David