Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Duralite vs Powerflite?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 01:45 AM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Duralite vs Powerflite?

Hi Paul,
There are several reaons these batteries are good investments. SOme people choose them for different reasons and some choose them for all of those reaons. You cn shed some weight by using them. You will also notice that the ppane will feel more connected. that is because the servos are getting a full 6 volts and that 6 volts stays the same from the very first flight to the last. Snaps and Spins will be easier because the plane will fly comsistent allowing you to more accurately nail exits. The Duralite Packs specifficly have what they call Charge Safe circuitry that assures a safe charge process. In the event that anything goes wrong with the charge process such as a charger fault, or if an incompatible charger was plugged in it will terminate the charge process before damage results. The Duralite Plus batteries also have 2 separate leads. One is the power lead and is wired directly to the battery just any any other battery. There is no circuitry in between this wire and the actual power source. this eliminates any possible failure points that could result in the loss of power. There is also a second yellow lead that is used only for charging. It is the lead that has the charge safe circuitry that controls the charge process and assures that the any of the cells in the pack are not overcharged. With the 4 or more cell packs, you actually get built in redundancy. Each cell is 3.7 volts nominal and two cells make up a 8.4 volt pack. Most IMAC packs are contructed of two of these two cell packs...some have 3 of these 2 cell packs which has 6 cells in the pack. This is how you get reducndancy. If for any reasona cell were to fail you would still get full power to the reciever, but would notice a problem by the fact that you are not getting the number of flights you should be. I run 2 3600's on my receivers, and a 1900 on the IGN. I'm thinking about going up to a 2800 because I fly alot and I normally run the battery down before my receivers. i can fly a full two summer days ona charge. I get 10-11 15 minute flights if i don't charge which is alot! This is on a 35% RadioCraft Extra 330. I have flow this plane the last two years on these batteries and like Lawence (Diesel) reported they still test just like the day they were bought. I tell you what, you may have a few doubts after some of the BS that was posted up here, but if you want to try these, please do. I will be needing new batteries for the plane I am getting ready to build. If for some reason you are not happy with them I will buy them from you and use them on mine. Like Lawence said, i wouldn't think of using any other battery. I already know how good they are. People can bad mouth all they want, and I'm sure there are some people out there that aren't pleased. The fact remains that that everyone I know loves these things, and i also know that if there is a problem that it is taken care of quickly and the service is outstanding! These batteries have a warranty on them! See how many companies you can find that provides that! hehe These things if used properly and tested before every flight to assure they are not discharged below the recomended cutoff are extremely reliable. They are powerful, they give a performance increase, and they are safe. I think investing in this technology is a good inverstment. It will be here for a very long time. One other thing I forgot to mention is the fact that they are basically maintenence free except for the testing before each flight. You don't have to be married to a charger charging, discharging, and charging again to test for capacity. You don't ahve to cycle them because they don't develop memory. The charger is very simple to use. You plug it in and in about 4-6 hours you are ready to go. The light will come on and when it goes out they are fully charged. It's as simple as it gets. You test them with a 1 amp load and if they check out you fly, and fly and fly until they reach 7.1 volts ar you get tired. hehe I normally charge mine back up after a days flying, but they will go a very long time if need be on a single charge. The big thing with these batteries if you are new to them is to forget everything you learned about other batteries. The Li-Ions are different. If you forget all the other types and follow the directions that come with them you will long life a great performance out of them. I think you will find that they free you up to do more flying too! I see alot of guys who use the older technology bateries and they have to quick charge at the field alot. I just keep on flying. It's great. If you decide to go with these, let us know what you think about them. I'm sure you're gonna enjoy them. :-)
Old 11-20-2003, 05:40 AM
isaac
My Feedback: (19)

Wasn't the horse dead,aero330? I guess when you have one positive guy about this batt you jump in with your mile long and boring respond. If their is a waranty, so what happend to the waranty of Duralites?
Old 11-20-2003, 10:17 PM
santi
My Feedback: (32)

ORIGINAL: Aero330LX

I run 2 3600's on my receivers, and a 1900 on the IGN. I'm thinking about going up to a 2800 because I fly alot and I normally run the battery down before my receivers. i can fly a full two summer days ona charge. I get 10-11 15 minute flights if i don't charge which is alot! This is on a 35% RadioCraft Extra 330.
Man thats a lot of flying for one day. I was just wondering i have a 1900 mah on my receiver running 5-5945's and one sub micro servo on throttle. I am only getting five 3d flights before they get to the 7.1 cut off. Sometimes only four.
Is that right? One receiver pack was already replaced(after 4 months) and got my new one yesterday. I put it on the charger for a full charge. When they were finished charging i noticed that it was only charged to 7.42 Volts. The little charged light even went out. Is there something wrong here? Now this was a brand new one that i got from Jack. So i was just wondering if I need to call him and Ask him whats going on here? Im starting to second guess Duralite Plus batteries.

Thanks,
Santi
Old 11-21-2003, 12:05 AM
Aero330LX

Hi Santi,
Was that 7.42v under a 1 amp load?
Old 11-21-2003, 01:43 AM
santi

Yes, it is under the one amp load from Duralite. Just to make sure that i have wired this thing correctly. Battery (black lead) to the switch, switch to the 6.0 regulator, and regulator to my receiver. Thats the way i was told to run the system. What reading are you getting off the charger? This is getting frustrating[sm=angry.gif]. Thanks for all your help.

Santi
Old 11-21-2003, 11:23 PM
Aero330LX

Hi Santi,
7.42 is right on the money for a 1900. My 1900 checks a little lower than my 3600 reciver batteries. Remember that you are applying the same load to a battery that ahs a lower mah rating so the load will drop the readings somewhat. I went out and checked my fully charged 1900 on my reciever and got 7.43 so you should be just fine. Remember, always check those batteries after every flight. Stop when they get down to 7.1 if they are on a receiver. If they are on an ignition you could go down to 7.0 if it's getting close to time to go and you want to fly another flight before going home, but I wouldn't go any lower than that. These are consevative cutoff levels that will assure that you won't have any chance of losing the plane. Don't get frustrated. These are just different. I think you have the right attitude (without the frustration :-) hehe ) of checking stuff and that is a good thing. There are lots of things we can't control, but it's good practice to check and test things...we can control that.

On the wiring, you should have the battery connected to the switch lead, and then the other switch lead connects to the regulator and the regulator connects to the receiver .

battery===>switch===>regulator===>receiver. In that order.

No problem on the help, that's what this place is for, and if you need any further help, I'll be glad to help there as well. You can go to the Duralite Manufacturers Support Forum also. [8D]
Old 11-22-2003, 10:50 PM
Aero330LX

Hi Santi,
I thought I would post this image for you to show you the setup of the regultor. Thought this would help you a litle more than words. There may be others that have the same question that would benifit from this also. This came from the Duralite Website. They happen to be showing a brand 'F' receiver but we won't hold that against them. hehe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36553.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	76758  
Old 11-24-2003, 05:10 AM
Gotta_Fly
My Feedback: (2)

Ok fellows Iv just finished my H9 Sukhoi 33% and I'm getting ready to buy my battery's, So do you think that using two 3600 for the RX and a 1900 for the Ignition would be fine or should I go up to the 4400 and use a 3600 for the Ignition, I'm using the sizes from powerflite just to give the idea, So will this be plenty of redundancy???
Thanks

Randy
Old 11-24-2003, 09:46 AM
isaac
My Feedback: (19)

More than enough.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:41 AM
Aero330LX

Hi Randy,
It depends on how much flying you want to do. I do ALOT of flying in a day...epsecially in the spring and summer months. On that airplane 3600's would be fine for the receivers, but on the IGN, I would think about what the maximum number of flights you wanna fly ina day would be. I have flown 11 with a 2800 on the IGN and still had a few flights left in the rx. batt's. My setup is pretty low current draw. I do use digitals, but am using single 8411's on the ailerons. I also have been very careful to match the rudder servos precisely, and things like that. 11 flights is alot! I have done that a few times and can tell you that you will be very tired after a day like that! LOL This was on a DA 100 powered 35% RadioCraft 330LX. I really don't think a 4400 would be needed. Duralite does have a 4000 now that is the same size and weight as the 3600's. That might be an option as well. If you wanted to fly the rx.'s down to 7.0 you might need to go with a little more than 2800 on the IGN, but man that's gonna be alot of flying. These 33-35 birds do real well as long as they aren't loaded down or have high current draw on the servos. Hope this helps you some. :-)
Old 11-25-2003, 02:49 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Santi

Man thats a lot of flying for one day. I was just wondering i have a 1900 mah on my receiver running 5-5945's and one sub micro servo on throttle. I am only getting five 3d flights before they get to the 7.1 cut off. Sometimes only four.
Is that right? One receiver pack was already replaced(after 4 months) and got my new one yesterday. I put it on the charger for a full charge. When they were finished charging i noticed that it was only charged to 7.42 Volts. The little charged light even went out. Is there something wrong here? Now this was a brand new one that i got from Jack. So i was just wondering if I need to call him and Ask him whats going on here? Im starting to second guess Duralite Plus batteries.

Thanks,
Santi
Santi

Still flying the DPM Extra? Sounds like it...

You need a larger battery pack IMO. Five flights and hitting 7.1V suggests the load is greater than pack can provide. Your model should consume approximately 15mA per minute on average. Five, ten minutes flights would use around 750mA's with lot's of reserve if you believe the specifications. Your results don't support this. How long are your flights typically?

A 1900mAh battery should be able to see loads at 2C or 2 x 1900 / 1000 = 3.8 Amps continuously. If this is the case and you can drop the one amp load on a freshly charged pack and your seeing 7.42V something is amiss. Think about what happens when you actually hit them hard simultaneously with those five 5945's which can easily consume one amp each... These cell are additionally supposed to provide five timed their rated capacity in short burst's, thats 5 x 1900 / 1000 = 9.5Amps which should suffice, BUT the one amp load dropping the cell to 7.42 concern's me...

I tested a 1900mAh pack to this afternoon. Freshly charged and tested and then charged and load tested again same results under test loads.

Hot off charge voltage 8.18V
.5 amp load 7.21V
1 amp load 6.75V
1.5 amp load 6.42V

Makes you wonder...
Old 11-25-2003, 03:06 AM
mglavin

ORIGINAL: Randyrw

Ok fellows Iv just finished my H9 Sukhoi 33% and I'm getting ready to buy my battery's, So do you think that using two 3600 for the RX and a 1900 for the Ignition would be fine or should I go up to the 4400 and use a 3600 for the Ignition, I'm using the sizes from powerflite just to give the idea, So will this be plenty of redundancy???
Thanks

Randy
Randy

For the slight difference in dollars I would go all out on the batteries. This is a personal observation but I feel like the dollar investment is humbled by the increased reserve milliamp capacity and current handling afforded the larger cells. I also believe the larger cells are worthy of the ignition system, same reasoning as mentioned previously. I usually carry spares with me and this simplifies inventory as well.

Your proposed system should be more than adequate providing the system delivers as advertised.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:01 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Something wrong there!
I cant get mine to come down that low even with with power hungry 5645s after a weekend and Im only using 1 3600.
Are you charging thru the yellow lead?
Old 11-25-2003, 11:24 PM
DuralitePlus Support

Paul,

I would suggest you visit other forums on this site and other sites for additional information regarding the Duralite Plus Battery System. Many Pilots flying Jets, Helicopters, Pattern, and Large planes are discussing the product. You will find that we work hard to support our customers and have always provided the best quality products available to the hobby. Yes, sometimes we have an item that may not perform to our expectation, when this happens we provide what ever support necessary to satisfy the pilot.

As for the original Duralite batteries most users had excellence results with some still using them after 5 years. The last of the original batteries were sold in 2001. The date stamped on the battery is the date of manufacture and I can guarantee that they were build as we were selling them. Starting in 2000 I was supplying some of the raw materials necessary to build the batteries and it was only available in the USA at that time. All of the batteries built after mid 2000 had the same manufacture date. I attempted to and in most cases was able to support original Duralite customers with fair replacement pricing to upgrade their systems.

Have a great Weekend,

Emory
Old 11-25-2003, 11:48 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

info
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31289.gif
Views:	13
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	77559  
Old 11-27-2003, 05:08 PM
santi

Hi michael hows it going? Yeah im still flying the DPM. That and my other UCD that i have just purchased. Want to go bigger, but i want to get better first. Man your boy is gettting better and better each video i see of him. He excelled really well in this hobby.

ORIGINAL: mglavin
You need a larger battery pack IMO. Five flights and hitting 7.1V suggests the load is greater than pack can provide. Your model should consume approximately 15mA per minute on average. Five, ten minutes flights would use around 750mA's with lot's of reserve if you believe the specifications. Your results don't support this. How long are your flights typically?
So you think that getting a bigger battery would be ideal with this set up? Im flying at least 17 minutes each flights. I guess if this battery is dropping to 7.1 after 4-5 flights then that would make a lot of sense to get a bigger battery. Now what mah should i get?
Good talking with you again bud.

Santi
Old 11-27-2003, 10:36 PM
mglavin

Santi

You're gonna love the big ones. Get one NOW, they make you a better pilot!

Thanks for the kind words of my son. I'm really proud of him. I've invested a lot of time with him and he is coming along SO fast. The kids really have it easy today, I was scraping my pennies together to fly u-control when I was his age (15), let alone flying 40% Aerobatic models, hell they didn't even exist back when I was 15 (1973). Get this and I am gonna say it while knocking on my WOOD desk, Josh has yet to crash an airplane! There was a few deadsticks early on in his efforts with an OS-160 and thats been it.

OK, back to the battery size thing. Five seventeen minute flights is reasonable with the 1900mAh battery. 15mah x 17 x 5 = 1275mA's. Not much reserve left though. You know you can cycle the a Li-Ion battery to see what s left. Simply set the cut-off voltage for 7.1 to be safe and see whats left after five flights.

What concerns me is the voltage degradation seen with a 1 amp load. A larger battery will help with this factor.

Were having a Toys for Tots event this weekend on Sunday at our field, Mather Aerospace Modelers. Were going to fly our 40% models and our new toys, the electric foamies. Make the drive, it will be a lot of fun. I'll throw one of my Foam 540's at you to play with.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:53 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Hey Michael, I'll take Josh up on that never crash at my house with the PBF that goof!

We had fun though, all that matters lol...