Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Triton charging batteries only 10% capacity

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Triton charging batteries only 10% capacity

Old 06-15-2004, 12:28 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triton charging batteries only 10% capacity

This is to all the battery experts. I have a Triton charger that worked fine, but now has started to act erratically. It will only put 10% capacity into the battery, then ends.

I have a 2100mah NiMH pack that the Triton use to charge up with no problem. The Triton now will shut off at 230mah.

I also have a 600 mah NiCD pack that the Triton also use to charge up with no problem, but now shuts off at 63mah.

These are both about 10% capacity. The Triton leads are longer than needed (1.5'), but has never caused a problem with any packs or batteries.

I charged the 2100 mah @ 1.1A with 990 min cutoff and 3mV peak and it stops at 230mah and I charged the 600mah pack at .4A with 990 min cutoff and 9mv peak and it stops at 63mah. [:@]

I did charge the 2100mah @ .3A and it put in 1944mah, but should be able to charge a little faster. This is almost c/10 and it took forever. These packs never gave problems until the other day and both are acting the same.

Could the leads be the cause?
What is the min and max wire gauge to use on the Triton?
Does the Triton need to be sent in for service?

I have only tried these two packs for capacity, but they are consistant with only charging up 10% before it stops. The Triton will discharge with no problem, but stumbles on charging.

Frustrated beyond belief,[:@]
DTB
Old 06-16-2004, 09:20 AM
wyflyer
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Triton charging batteries only 10% capacity

The same thing happened to me this weekend. I thought my battery might be bad, so I got a brand new totally unused battery. I cycled it at c/10 and the triton put way less than the capicity in it too. I don't have any other cyclers, so I can't really test the Triton any more.[:@]
Old 06-16-2004, 03:05 PM
fire_medic2001

Default RE: Triton charging batteries only 10% capacity

It sounds like it is false peaking. Check the setting on your millivolts per cell. I think for nicads it states to start with 10 millivolts per cell and 5 per cell for NiMh. I have found that if you set it at 13 for nicad and 7-8 for NiMh you will get your best results. Remember to cycle your packs a few times once a month.