Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Dymond Super Turbo Charger?

Old 11-30-2001, 03:34 AM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dymond Super Turbo Charger?

Anybody have any comments on the new Dymond Super Turbo Charger?

It is priced at $109 and seems to be a better unit than the Supernova 250S I was previously considering!

See it here:

http://www.rc-dymond.com/Chargers/20156SuperSmart.htm

Anybody got any idea of how many AMPS this thing would need from a power supply?
Old 11-30-2001, 04:59 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking at those myself. My research tells me that the dymond model is the same as the supernova but in a different case more or less and for less $$$. It also has some new features they seem to have programmed in like detecting the heat of the battery pack. If I had to choose between the 2 of them I think I would go with the dymond from a price point as well as the "extra" features they have added/programmed in.

Guy at my field had the Supernova and it's awesome. I would suspect they are more or less identical inside the box.

As for AMPS I think 10 plus is safe. The guy at my field carries a 12 volt battery with him and hooks it up to that and another guy uses a Radio Shack 120 volt to 12 volt DC converter with 10AMPS.
Old 12-07-2001, 11:07 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default Re: Dymond Super Turbo Charger?

Originally posted by maverick

Anybody got any idea of how many AMPS this thing would need from a power supply? [/B]
Here are some quick numbers:

7 cell pack charged at 5 amps requires 5.13A from the supply.

14 cells @ 5A needs 7.46 Amps in.

21 cells @2A needs 5.53 Amps in

21 cells @2.72A needs 8.10 Amps in

This are quick and dirty measurments so don't start calculating watts in vs watts out on me. Besides you don't know what the supply voltage actually was under these loads. Only that it was high enough so the low input alarm didn't go off.

I suspect, like the SuperSmart that you will not be able to get max charge current at the maximum cell count. You are talking 195 watts. I think the Super Turbo may be limited to handling 85 watts.
Old 12-08-2001, 04:33 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Red,

So in a nutshell, would the Super Turbo be a better buy than the Supernova 250S?
Close call at this point. Dymond appears to no longer offer their version (Super Smart) of the SuperNova. The Super Turbo does not handle Sealed Lead (although I think there may be a way of cheating in this area). It does give you more control of the parameters. Bottom line unless I uncover something to the contrary in testing I would say YES.
Old 12-08-2001, 09:20 PM
marvk

Default Dymond Super Turbo Charger

I have the new Super Turbo and bought because I liked the older Super so well. The new one has a few more bells and whistles which I think makes it well worth the price.
Old 12-08-2001, 10:05 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Default Super Turbo charge/discharge rates vs setting

See how high a discharge rate you can get. In one of the programs set D=5.0 and let me know what you. Also try C=5 for anything under 5 cells or over 13 cells.

Just want to see if we are getting similar results.
Old 12-09-2001, 12:01 AM
marvk

Default Chg-Dischg Super Turbo Chgr

Red-
All I had to try it on readily available was a 7 cell 270 mah pack. It charged at 5 amps and discharged at 2.6 amps. This was on a quick check with chg and dischg set at 5 amps. Hope this s what you wanted. If not, I'll try again.
Old 12-09-2001, 12:54 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Default Re: Chg-Dischg Super Turbo Chgr

Originally posted by marvk
Red-
All I had to try it on readily available was a 7 cell 270 mah pack. It charged at 5 amps and discharged at 2.6 amps. This was on a quick check with chg and dischg set at 5 amps. Hope this s what you wanted. If not, I'll try again.
This is what I have found. Anything over 4 cells and it will charge at 5 amps if programed to do so. Up until you get to 14 cells and then it is limited by the 90 watts max power capability. Max discharge on ANYTHING is 3 amps or less.

No big deal as these discharge rates don't mean all that much and you will blow away your rx packs if you hit the with 5 amps very many times.

The issue is that we would like to see the performance claims for a product reflect what it actually does.

Puritain attitude. :-)
Old 12-09-2001, 04:24 AM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Originally posted by redscho

The Super Turbo does not handle Sealed Lead (although I think there may be a way of cheating in this area).
Red,

Can you please elaborate on this comment?

What sort of ways could be utilized to trick the charger?
Old 12-09-2001, 11:58 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Red,

Can you please elaborate on this comment?

What sort of ways could be utilized to trick the charger?
For a standard 7 Ah Sealed Lead field box battery.

Measure the voltage. 12 volts = empty, 13 volts = full charge. Say it measures 12.3 then it's 30% charged. You need to put back 70%. Field box battery is 7 Ah, 70% of 7Ah= 4.9 Ah

Set charge rate for C/10 - 700 mA in this case, set charge input for 4900 mAh.

I have not tried this yet but in theory it might work.

Back off on the charge time a bit to be safe and see what kind of an end voltage you end up with when it shuts down. If it is no higher than 14.7 you should be OK.
Old 12-25-2001, 08:05 PM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

Default Super Turbo

I also recently got one of these chargers and after reading through the instructions, I really wasn't happy with it. I never ran it to be honest but I didn't like that you couldn't specify the number of cells in the pack. I also didn't like the parameter of setting the max amount of current in at some value over the rating of the pack (20% for nicads), beyond which it would shut down. This is an OK feature but I just didn't want to be constantly asking myself is that 2000ma setting for my 1700ma pack or something else. I also didn't like the fact that the 10 battery slots were in reality only 9 as one was dedicated to the automatic mode and could not be changed. I also personally did not like the adjustable peak feature. Sounds interesting but seems like asking for trouble to me. This should be set at some standard value and not adjustable (just my personal opinion).

Physically the charger also would not sit flat on a flat surface as if the case was twisted. The first charger I got from Dymond had bad switches and would not sit flat. The exchange on also would not sit flat. That alone did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. So in the end, I sent it back to get a refund and I'm going to buy another SuperNova.