Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Welcome to the FMA Direct / Lithium Power Solution Forum

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Welcome to the FMA Direct / Lithium Power Solution Forum

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 04:38 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Welcome to the FMA Direct / Lithium Power Solution Forum

Welcome to the FMA Direct - Kokam LiPo battery support forum. Ask any tech support questions or general questions regarding any of FMA's products or Kokam LiPo batteries. A direct representative will be available to answer your questions.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:34 PM
johnnycrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to the FMA Direct - Kokam LiPo Support Forum

I was wondering when the fs8 will be available at my local hobby shop
Old 11-26-2004, 10:36 PM
leoyu

[font="Times New Roman"][/font]
Dear sir :
very glad to send this email to you ,and hope to contact with you . My name is Leo Yu the oversea sales of Shenzhen Bo Fu Neng Battery co.,LTD.
After I have viewed your website ,I think there maybe some need for our products. As a professional manufacturer of Ni-MH rechargeable batteries and battery packs in all kind of shapes,we can provide reliable and high- quality products at the most competitive price.
At present ,we have been selected for the use of domestic and international well-known enterprises,such as BBK;TSINGHUA; TONGFENG,SUBOR;WAIMART,etc.
If there is any inquiry or request ,please feel free to contact with me .or you can view our website :www.bfnbattery.com.we are pleased to receive any information from yours.

BEST REGARDS
YOURS SINCERELY
LEO YU

www.bfnbattery.com
tel;86 755 84641529
fax:86 755 84642732
Email :[email protected] ,[email protected]
Old 11-26-2004, 10:53 PM
pc93254
My Feedback: (10)

What voltages will electric motors for airplanes except. Will a 6 volt motor work alright at 8.4 volts? Do you have to ask on every motor what the highest and lowest voltages are? I am very new at RC Airplanes.

Thanks
Phillip
[email protected]
Old 12-14-2004, 09:39 PM
Fred Marks

Philip,
Motors come in a broad range of capability. The major division is between brushed and brushless motors. A brushed motor that is designated as 4.8V, e.g., will generally burn up if you put 8.4V on it. Some brushless motors have a brioader range and could run at either voltage. It is best to select a motor that is designed to operate in the range of the voltage you intend to apply.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:47 PM
dirtymode
My Feedback: (1)

Sirs: I have a polymer 2200 with a Jeti 70 amp esc. I am using a Mega 22/20/2 motor with a Mini Demon gear box. With a 17x10 prop the battery gets very hot and mushy feeling. What is wrong? Thanks, Jon Kay
Old 02-28-2005, 09:25 PM
scottar005

will the kokam lipo-502 charger charge say a 3-cell 4000 mah lithium battery
Old 03-13-2005, 07:20 AM
eggvoel

I am using Kokam 7.4v 1500 mah in my Estarter. It says not to get the batteries wet. Doesn that mean submerged wet? I plan on landing in snow so some moisture can touch the battery. Also may try floats so again some moisture.
Also, I am worried about storage. Can they be kept in an unheated shop that can get down to Zero and then be brought in to warm up overnight?
How about an airtight ammo can for storage? Thank-you. Larry
Old 03-14-2005, 01:05 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Larry,

Yes, you can get them wet without issue. I have never submerged them so I'm not sure what happens.

It is actually better to store Lithium cells at freezing temperatures when not in use. Doing so, keeps their capacity healthy. I keep mine in an unheated garage during the winter months and warm them up for a day if I decide to use them.

Since the Lithium packs are only volatile during charge, you can keep them in a cardboard box for storage.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:36 PM
eggvoel

Thanks Greg. I didn't think the hobby shops stored them in bullet proof containers, but after reading about some fires, etc., it pays to be cautious. Larry
Old 03-14-2005, 06:00 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

What LiPo would you recommend for a Lil Rascal with an Astro 010? ESC is what comes with the motor. I'm not new to R/C but I am to LiPo's. Don't really understand the terminology.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:54 PM
Greg Covey

If you look at the [link=http://www.astroflight.com/e/env/0001tH4snX1NiPUtz408301/store/store-Brushless.html?link=/store/store-type-tem.html&item=products:af-801g]charts[/link] for the geared 010 on the Astro Flight site, you can see various current draw values for 2-3 cell Lithium packs using different props. This shows a general range from 4-8amps.

Since the Sig Lil Rascal is a small, under 10oz plane, you may wish to start with a lighter 2-cell pack and see if you have the desired power level you want . If not, use a 3-cell pack or a larger prop.

The new [link=https://www.fmadirect.com/site/fma.htm?body=Products&cat=28]Kokam 640mAh[/link] cell comes in 2 or 3 cell packs at FMA Direct. The 2-cell 640mAh pack weighs only 1.3oz (36g) and supports up to 9.6A continuous discharge which is a good match for the weight of the Lil Rascal plane and the AF 010 power system.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:57 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Thank you, I appreciate the assistance.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:11 AM
eggvoel

I am using the 2c 1500 mah Kokam Lipo's in my Estarter. After about 20 minutes of flying time the plane is getting a little anemic so I land. The battery is discharged to about 7.4v. Should I run it down to the 5.3v with the ESC before charging or will it make a difference? Thank-you. 7 flights so far, having fun. Larry
Old 03-20-2005, 03:06 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

I would like to use a Li-Po in a glow airplane with a 6V regulator but the connectors from your Li-Po batteries don't mate with the switch or the regulator. How are people setting up glow airplanes with Li-Po batteries?
Old 03-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Fred Marks

You need to look under the Kokam section of the catalog under Flight packs. They all use the universal conector that fits all radios. You must be looking at the electric airplane packs.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:08 PM
eggvoel

Do Lipo's have charge/discharge memory? I asked earlier about discharging my 2c1500mah Lipo's. With the 400 motor in my Estarter I get about 20 minutes flight time and then it is getting sluggish so I land. The battery is down to about 7.4 volts. should I discharge in down to the 5.3 volts on the BEC before charging?
Conversely, if I got a 3c pack and the motor is rated for 9.6v, can I charge up to 10v instead of the full charge? Thank-you. Larry
Old 03-24-2005, 02:55 PM
Greg Covey

Larry,

One of the several bonus features of Lithium cells is that you never have to cycle them or fear memory problems. Also, you can leave them charged for weeks without the need to re-peak them. Lithium cells are ready to fly when you are!

You can run the pack without a full charge. It has no ill effect other than a shorter flight. For a 3-cell pack, a full charge is 4.2v*3 or 12.6v.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:29 PM
eggvoel

Thank-you very much Greg. You and this site have been most helpful. Larry
Old 04-01-2005, 12:09 PM
eggvoel

Mix Lipo's & NIMH? What would happen if I put a AA type NIMH in series with a 2c1500mah Lipo. Would I get an increase in voltage and power without hurting anything? My Estarter with the 400 motor could use a little more zip. Of course they would be disconnected when charging. Just a thought, maybe foolish. Thank-you. Larry
Old 04-01-2005, 12:18 PM
mikekomm
My Feedback: (9)

I have an e-starter that I use a 3 cell LIpo with. It's a good combination. I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU NOT MESS WITH LIPOS IN ANY WAY THAT IS OTHER THAN THE WAY THE FACTORY SETS THEM UP. THEY ARE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS IF USED, CHARGED OR DISCHARGED INCORRECTLY!! FIRES AND EXPLOSION ARE A POSSIBILITY!!
Old 04-01-2005, 05:36 PM
eggvoel

Thanks Mike. I don't need any more persuasion not to mess with the Lipo's. It was just a thought I had and that is why these forums are so great and important to us.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Fred Marks

Eggvoel,
You must not mix any battery chemistry, even Ni Cd to Ni MH. All have different characteristics. Charging the Ni Mh cells in series with the Li Po cells can cause an explosion of the Ni MH. Charging the Li Po cells with peak detection will certainly ruin the Li Po cells. Li Po handled per manufacturers directions are quite safe. Any cell handled improperly can be dangerous.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:04 PM
lthibault

Hi Mark,

Three general questions about Kokam Li-Poly batteries:

1) What's the best maintenance when they are not used for several days

2) Do I need to "peak" them if they've not been not used for the week and I plan to fly on saturday morning?

3) What's the best charging rate to set on my Apache Charger? Any rule of thumb to determine this?

Old 04-05-2005, 07:17 PM
lthibault

Hi Larry,

I can share this unfortunate experience with you; the other day, my Decathlon went nuts and made an abrupt landing in the middle of the BallPark near my house. Due to the snow that melted in the previous days, there was about a foot of water[X(] where the plane crashed! it took me about 5 seconds to react, run like crazy and pick up the plane, getting my pants and brand new leather boots wet at the same time! Of course my first reflex was to disconnect power but the plane had been totally immerged in water.

Anyway, came home in a rush and used my air compressor to blow dry the plane, esc, receptor, servos, battery and Venom Fireball engine. Then used electrical connectors cleaner and dry air again to complete the job.

Guess what? Everything works well! Performed several tests since then and everything seems normal.

Luke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.