Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

am i in any danger??

Old 09-19-2004, 01:09 PM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default am i in any danger??

ok well you may think i'm crazy but if i'm flying or transporting or cleaning the plane is on charge thats right all week long. am i in any danger??
Old 09-19-2004, 01:21 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: am i in any danger??

Ask that question again Fletch124. I don't think your question is complete.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:18 AM
Fletch124

ok i mean If i'm flying transporting or anything that requires to watching my airplane its NOT on charge and when i'm not doing anything or in other words all week long my plane is on charge. Am I in any danger of low voltage from a dead cell? or something else?
Old 09-20-2004, 12:05 PM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

Yes.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:19 PM
Fletch124

So i have to cycle the batterie right?? can i just drain the battery but leaving the plane and transmitter on overnight or whatever then charge them up?
Old 09-22-2004, 07:15 PM
Trogdor the Burninator

Hey Chevy.. I mean Fletch... I'd say that cycling any battery pack is not really needed except maybe to test a new pack or one thats been sitting a LONG time, maybe once a season otherwise just to verify it'll hold a charge for say a transmitter on for about 2.5-3 hours...

I wouldn't just leave anything on overnight to completely discharge it. Doing that can bring the weakest cell in a pack extremely low and maybe into some kinda reverse polarity thing (which I've never seen but trust some of the battery gurus enough not to do it!

You can just leave the transmitter on for a few hours and check it every 15-30 minutes, just stop when it goes red or beeps. receiver might be a little harder in that unloaded a receiver only draws like 20ma so you'll have to play with the sticks a bit to really pull juice... If you have any park flyers maybe hook up the receiver pack to a propless motor and let it run until ut slows down, then recharge as normal overnight...

hope that helps some.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:03 PM
Fletch124

thanks so much Trogdor the Burninator i didn't actually leave it over night i started it at like 4-5pm and when i went to bed at like 9-10pm it was blinking red i think. I actually rubber banded the sticks into positions were as many of the servos would be were they are holding the control surfaces in like up elevator you know.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:06 PM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

please stop. put transmitter away. put plane away. charge only when you expect to fly next day. i know ,you dont know whether your going to fly the next day or not. well we all have that problem.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:13 PM
Fletch124

yeah i thought about that but i don't want to not fully charge the battery. i can't tell if i did fully charge or not because i don't have a tester. i could make a tester out of the ones that electricians use but i'd need to figure out how to do it. and i don't want to pay $50 more a one met for RC. so i'm kinda in a hole as far as voltage testers go.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:11 AM
Woody 51

You need a "Pulse" Charger.
Something like the Electrifly Triton DC Computerized, Charger, Discharger, and Cycler from Great Planes.
Tower have them for just over $100.
Great Insurance, and "set and forget." (to a point anyway)
The Rx battery is the weakest (and usually the most neglected) part of a model.
I've seen people happy to spend $100 or so on a new plane (after theirs went down terminally due to a bad battery) but won't spend the same amount of a decent charger/cycler which would have prevented the crash in the 1st place.
Use of one of these will also prolong the battery pack life.