Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Timers for my charger

Old 08-10-2002, 08:23 PM
DougX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timers for my charger

I recently got an Ace DDVC. There are two things I wish it had with it. First, the connector system stinks (I fixed this by fitting some radio shack banana jacks into the top pannel, now I don't have to hack up all my battery leads. Second, I really hate having to watch the clock to keep from over charging my batteries. Does anyone know of an affordable timed relay that could be connected between the battery and charger. It would need to be adjustale from 1-16 hours.

Thanks,
Old 08-11-2002, 10:22 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Go back to radio shack and get a timer. They use to have one that could be programed with several programs. I had one, (now broken and gone) that I would set for 12 hours for the overnight charge, then I would switch it to the second program that would turn it on for 30 minutes each day. That kept my charge topped off without damaging the battery. I don't have a Radio Shack catalog but they should have the timer you need.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:41 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Check the Ace unit carefully to make sure it doesn't put a load on the battery when the AC is switched OFF. Some of the early analog ones did this.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:49 PM
DougX

Thanks redscho,

Is there an easy way to check this condition?

I didn't go back to radio shack. I went to Wal-Mart and got a timer. The only problem is it can't be set for a one time on-off cycle. It was made to turn on and off house lights and works on an everyday cycle. I'll check Radio Shack to see if they have a timer that will meet my need.

Thanks for the responses guys

Doug
Old 08-14-2002, 07:19 PM
spyderweb
My Feedback: (1)

Default timer

Check out Home Depot or Lowes and look in the lighting section and look for a digital timer some have up to seven programs.